This is a yummy Baklava recipe that I came up with. It uses no white sugar.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/2 cups honey
- 1/2 cup agave nectar
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 1/2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1Thaw filo pastry.
- 2Combine all the syrup ingredients in a saucepan and bring to a light boil. Simmer until cinnamon mixes with the syrup. The cinnamon will not be fully absorbed. Set aside and allow to cool.
- 3Combine nuts and cinnamon in a large bowl.
- 4Melt butter in separate bowl. (If doing this in the microwave, be sure to cover with plastic wrap!).
- 5Using a basting/pastry brush, grease a 9x13 glass baking dish with melted butter.
- 6Unfold filo pastry and cut in half so that sheets will fit in 9x13 pan. Place all sheets in one pile. Cover the sheets with a damp cloth while you work to prevent them from drying.
- 7Place 2 sheets of filo in the pan and brush liberally with butter. Repeat until you have 12 sheets of pastry in the pan.
- 8Layer 1/3 of the nut mixture over the pastry. Drizzle some butter over the nuts. Cover with 2 sheets of filo and brush liberally with butter. Repeat this step twice until there are 3 layers of nut mixture.
- 9Continue to layer the pastry with two sheets of filo, brushing each layer liberally with butter.
- 10Preheat oven to 350 degrees fahrenheit.
- 11Score the top layer of the pastry with a sharp knife into the shape and size pieces you want to serve once the pastry is done. Be sure to cut only the top layer of the pastry.
- 12Pour any remaining butter over the top of the pastry.
- 13Place in the oven and bake for 50-60 minutes or until top turns light brown.
- 14Remove from oven and pour syrup evenly over the pastry. The syrup will soak through all the layers.
- 15Place pastry in the refrigerator and allow to cool for at least 1 hour. After one hour, the pastry will still be warm. If you have longer before you serve, you can cool at room temperature for several hours.
- 16Cut through the scored pieces and serve!
Browse Our Top Crusts/Pastry Dough Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Crusts/Pastry Dough Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Addie's Baklava
Serving Size: 1 (89 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 24
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 396.6
- Calories from Fat 256
- Total Fat 28.5 g
- Saturated Fat 8.9 g
- Cholesterol 30.5 mg
- Sodium 194.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 34.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.6 g
- Sugars 20.2 g
- Protein 5.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included: