Prep 1 hr
Cook 1 hr
This is a yummy Baklava recipe that I came up with. It uses no white sugar.
Make and share this Addie's Baklava recipe from Food.com.
- 1 1⁄2 cups honey
- 1⁄2 cup agave nectar
- 1⁄4 cup maple syrup
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 lb chopped walnuts
- 6 ounces slivered almonds
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 lb phyllo pastry
- 1 1⁄2 cups butter
- Thaw filo pastry.
- Combine all the syrup ingredients in a saucepan and bring to a light boil. Simmer until cinnamon mixes with the syrup. The cinnamon will not be fully absorbed. Set aside and allow to cool.
- Combine nuts and cinnamon in a large bowl.
- Melt butter in separate bowl. (If doing this in the microwave, be sure to cover with plastic wrap!).
- Using a basting/pastry brush, grease a 9x13 glass baking dish with melted butter.
- Unfold filo pastry and cut in half so that sheets will fit in 9x13 pan. Place all sheets in one pile. Cover the sheets with a damp cloth while you work to prevent them from drying.
- Place 2 sheets of filo in the pan and brush liberally with butter. Repeat until you have 12 sheets of pastry in the pan.
- Layer 1/3 of the nut mixture over the pastry. Drizzle some butter over the nuts. Cover with 2 sheets of filo and brush liberally with butter. Repeat this step twice until there are 3 layers of nut mixture.
- Continue to layer the pastry with two sheets of filo, brushing each layer liberally with butter.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees fahrenheit.
- Score the top layer of the pastry with a sharp knife into the shape and size pieces you want to serve once the pastry is done. Be sure to cut only the top layer of the pastry.
- Pour any remaining butter over the top of the pastry.
- Place in the oven and bake for 50-60 minutes or until top turns light brown.
- Remove from oven and pour syrup evenly over the pastry. The syrup will soak through all the layers.
- Place pastry in the refrigerator and allow to cool for at least 1 hour. After one hour, the pastry will still be warm. If you have longer before you serve, you can cool at room temperature for several hours.
- Cut through the scored pieces and serve!