1/1 Photo of Aginares Avgolemono (Artichoke Bottoms in Avgolemono)
1 hr 10 mins
Michelle Berteig's Note:
This recipe was printed in the local newspaper and was given to me by a friend. I haven't tried it yet, but it sounds good!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 8 artichokes
- 2/3 cup lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 3/4 cup chopped onion
- 1 1/2 cups chopped green onions (about 2 bunches)
- 3 medium potatoes, peeled and quartered lengthwise
- 6 medium carrots, peeled and cut crosswise into 1-inch pieces
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh dill
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 4 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch, dissolved in 1 tablespoon cold water
- 1Remove the leaves from the artichokes and scoop out the chokes, leaving the bottoms. Discard the leaves. Cut the bottoms in half. Put them in cold water with 2 tablespoons of lemon juice added. When ready to use, drain and pat dry.
- 2Pour the olive oil into a 6-quart saucepan. Saute the onions until soft. Add the potatoes and carrots and cook for about 5 minutes.
- 3Add the artichoke bottoms, 4 1/2 cups of hot water, the dill and salt. Cover and bring to a boil over medium heat. Simmer until the potatoes, carrots and artichoke bottoms are fork-tender, about 12 to 15 minutes. Do not stir, but occasionally lift and move the pan back and forth (gentle shaking) to move the mixture around and keep it from sticking to the bottom of the pan, but be careful not to break up the vegetables. Reduce the heat to a low simmer while preparing the avgolemono sauce.
- 4To make the avgolemono sauce, beat the eggs well in a small bowl, then slowly add 2/3 cup of lemon juice. Add the dissolved cornstarch and then slowly add about a cup of broth from the cooked vegetables, stirring all the while.
- 5Pour the sauce over the vegetables and cook on low for about 3 minutes. Remove from the heat and allow to stand 10 minutes before serving.
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Aginares Avgolemono (Artichoke Bottoms in Avgolemono)
Serving Size: 1 (469 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 632.5
- Calories from Fat 295
- Total Fat 32.8 g
- Saturated Fat 5.4 g
- Cholesterol 211.5 mg
- Sodium 1554.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 74.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 21.5 g
- Sugars 9.1 g
- Protein 19.9 g