1/2 Photos of Aginares Latheres: Artichokes With Vegetables (Vegan)
Dreamer in Ontario's Note:
Artichokes with vegetables in a lemon-dill sauce Aginares Latheres pronounsed ahg-kee-NAH-rehs lah-theh-RES. Artichokes are very popular in Greece. This recipe combines them with dill and lemon. If you can't get fresh artichokes you can substitute frozen artichoke hearts but make sure there are no additives such as salt in them. Defrost before using. Recipe is from about.com
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 12 artichokes, fresh
- 2 -3 carrots, cut in thick slices
- 3 -4 potatoes, cut in chunks
- 2 -3 green onions, coarsely chopped (or 1 onion, finely chopped)
- 3/4 cup olive oil
- 2 -3 tablespoons fresh dill, finely chopped
- 1 stalk celery, finely sliced
- 3 lemons, juice of
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 2 teaspoons sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 -1 1/2 cup water
- 1Clean the artichokes by removing the coarse outer leaves and stem, cutting off the top (down to just above the choke) and scooping out the choke with a spoon.
- 2Trim off remaining leaves around the sides to leave just the pale colored heart.
- 3Rub the artichoke hearts with lemon as soon as each is cleaned and place immediately in a bowl of cold water with half the lemon juice (to prevent them from turning black) and set aside until ready to use.
- 4In a large pot, lightly sauté the onions in the oil until they soften.
- 5Add carrots and potatoes and continue to sauté for a few minutes more. Add the artichoke hearts, dill, celery, salt, and pepper, and stir.
- 6Mix the remaining lemon juice with 1/2 cup of water and flour until smooth, and pour into the pot, stirring until well mixed inches
- 7Add the remaining water to cover the vegetables, and bring to a boil.
- 8Cover, reduce heat, and cook over low heat for about one hour until potatoes and carrots are done.
- 9Serve hot, warm, or at room temperature, with additional lemon on the side.
Browse Our Top Potato Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Potato Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Aginares Latheres: Artichokes With Vegetables (Vegan)
Serving Size: 1 (493 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 5
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 558.8
- Calories from Fat 298
- Total Fat 33.1 g
- Saturated Fat 4.6 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 1253.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 62.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 21.4 g
- Sugars 6.3 g
- Protein 13.5 g