Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 30 mins
Cook 4 hrs 50 mins
Greek cookies from alleasyrecipes.com Posting for ZWT. To defrost the phyllo, leave the unopened package in the refrigerator overnight and it will be ready to use the next day. Do NOT thaw at room temperature because the sheets then have a tendency to stick to each other. One of the difficulties of working with phyllo is that it tends to dry out very quickly once exposed to air. Thus SPEED is of the essence. Before unrolling the phyllo, make sure that you have a large area to work on and that ALL your ingredients and utensils are at hand: baking pans, a pastry brush, the filling, wax paper on counter, and, most important, the melted, but not browned, butter that will be used to top each individual sheet. If you are going to bake the phyllo pastry immediately, your oven should be preheated. To better understand how to make the triangles, look at the wonderful diagrams found at http://www.alleasyrecipes.com/glossary/phyllo.asp
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Combine almonds, sugar, water, rose water OR vanilla extract, and lemon juice in saucepan.
- Cook over low heat, stirring constantly, until mixture becomes thick and pasty.
- Cut phyllo sheets into thirds.
- Cover two-thirds with PLASTIC WRAP so it doesn’t dry out.
- Lay strip in vertical position, brush with some melted butter, at bottom of strip add 1 teaspoon filling, bring the left side over so that you have a triangle, but keeping on going by bringing the right bottom tip up, keep going up repeating the triangles.
- Brush triangles with butter and place on an UNGREASED baking sheet, seam side down.
- Bake for 30 minutes, or until golden not brown or they are over baked.
- Remove from sheet to cool.
- When slightly cool, sprinkle with confectioners' sugar.
- NOTE: Triangles can be frozen, unbaked. When ready to use, place unthawed in a preheated 350° oven. Bake for 45 minutes, or until golden.
Delicious! I added another teaspoon of rosewater before rolling up because I love it. I might add a pinch of cinnamon next time too, just to see how it tastes. This was really easy to make and so good. I wish I could have posted a picture (still don't know how). Thanks for sharing this great recipe which I will use again and again. Made for ZWT6.