1/3 Photos of Andros Island Shrimp Baked in Tomato Sauce W/ Feta
Garides Saganaki is not a traditional Greek recipe. It was probably created in the early 1960s, as tourists began to flood the Greek islands. It is now a popular starter served in upscale seaside taverns all over the country. Each portion usually comes to the table in its own two-handled pan, right out of the oven. This is the version served on the island of Andros. The sauce is scrumptious, so make sure you provide plenty of fresh crusty bread for dipping. You can stir in cream if desired before placing in the oven. Note: If you leave feta cheese uncovered in the refrigerator overnight, it will dry a bit and can then be easily grated. Recipe adapted from The Foods of the Greek Islands by Aglaia Kremezi.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon aleppo pepper or 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1/2 lbs medium shrimp, peeled and deveined, tails left on
- 1/2 cup finely diced tomato, drained in a colander for 5 minutes
- 2/3 cup coarsely grated hard feta cheese (see Note)
- 1/2 cup cream (optional)
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- lemon juice
- salt, to taste
- 1Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- 2In a large skillet, heat oil and sauté onion over medium heat for 5 minutes.
- 3Add Aleppo or pepper flakes and garlic and sauté for 30 seconds.
- 4Add shrimp and sauté for 2 minutes.
- 5Add tomato and salt (to taste) and cook for 2 minutes, or until sauce begins to thicken.
- 6Transfer to a baking dish or four individual gratin dishes.
- 7Bake for 10 minutes, or until the sauce is bubbly.
- 8Sprinkle with the cheese and bake for 2 to 3 minutes more.
- 9Sprinkle with the parsley and fresh lemon juice and serve.
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Andros Island Shrimp Baked in Tomato Sauce W/ Feta
Serving Size: 1 (300 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 324.3
- Calories from Fat 185
- Total Fat 20.6 g
- Saturated Fat 5.8 g
- Cholesterol 237.1 mg
- Sodium 1249.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 6.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.8 g
- Sugars 2.5 g
- Protein 27.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included: