Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
We serve this as a main dish - Greek meals are often meatless.
Make and share this Anginares Me Araka (Artichoke and Pea Stew) recipe from Food.com.
- 10 artichoke hearts, thawed (I go directly for the frozen)
- 1 lb baby peas
- 4 carrots, sliced thinly
- 2 large onions, chopped (approx 2 cups)
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1⁄2 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons minced dill
- 1 lemon, juice of
- salt and pepper
- Place the oil, onions and carrots in a large saucepan and cook until the onion is translucent.
- Add 1 1/2 cups of water and bring to the boil.
- Cook for 10 minutes.
- Add the artichokes, tomato paste, lemon juice and salt and pepper to taste.
- Cover and cook for 10 minutes more.
- Add the peas and dill, check seasoning.
- Cover and cook a further 10 minutes. The stew should have quite a bit of sauce, but not be swimming in it. If there's too much liquid, uncover pan, turn up heat slightly and boil to evaporate liquid, about 5 minutes.
- This is best served warm, nearly room-temperature.
- Serve with feta and crusty bread to mop up the juices.
This is a delicious and tasty mixed vegetables plate. I belive a lot of children would convert to vegetables fan with it! I added one leek because I had one that had to be used.
We liked a lot the taste and I wouldn't renounce to the dill. This make the dish really "Greek"!
Thanks a lot for this dish, I hope more people will try these vegetables in this way.
Easy and yummy!
This was really differnt. It was really filling.I don't know if I liked the dill or not. I might use only half the amount next time. I did only use 2 tblspns of olive oil and used chicken broth instead of water. I used a 1 lb bag of frozen peas and carrots and added 2 extra tblspns of tomato paste.
I loved this and served it as a vegetarian meal with a rice medley - I did use corn as I had no peas and it was all great -made for freezer tag and I assure you it does freeze very well - all the ingredients are perfect frozen - this is a great dish for artichoke lovers like me so thanks evelyn/athens