Prep 35 mins
Cook 40 mins
This is a great Baklava recipe. A friend passed this along to me. I love the combo of apples and walnuts and is a favorite recipe when it's apple picking time. If you don't want to use rum; substitute 2 tablespoons lemon juice and 2 tablespoons lemon rind.
- 3 cups chopped apples
- 2 1⁄2 cups chopped walnuts
- 3⁄4 cup granulated sugar
- 1⁄2 cup raisins
- 2 tablespoons rum
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 lb phyllo dough
- 1 lb butter, clarified, melted
- 1 cup honey
- Combine first 6 ingredients in large bowl; mix well.
- Trim 8 sheets phyllo dough to fit 10 x 15-inch baking pan.
- Keep unused phyllo covered with damp cloth. Arrange in baking pan, brushing each sheet generously with melted butter.
- Spread half the apple mixture over phyllo dough.
- Arrange 6 trimmed buttered sheets of phyllo dough over apple mixture.
- Spread with remaining apple mixture.
- Top with 8 buttered sheets phyllo dough.
- Tuck in the buttered phyllo neatly around.
- Cut into squares or diamond using a sharp knife.
- Bake at 350°F for 40 minutes or until golden brown.
- Heat honey in small saucepan.
- Drizzle over hot baklava.
The filling was splendid. I sub'd brandy (had no rum) and pecans (no walnuts). I also did not have phyllo and used spring roll wrappers. The wrappers would have been good, but one wrapper = 3 sheets of phyllo. So, I should have cut down on the wrappers. Despite my subs, the recipe was EXCELLENT.
Excellent recipe! I didn't use nuts (allergies), but I'm sure with walnuts would be even better! I LOVED this recipe, was very easy to make. Thank you for posting it!
I only used 1/2 cup of butter for this, instead of 1 pound. That's what I do for my other baklava recipe. We liked this very much - it is a wonderful recipe for apples. Although we do like the regular baklava a little better. I really liked Maeven6's idea to put the apples, walnuts, etc in the food processor. I did that also & loved how easy it was & how evenly cut it was. Made it just wonderful to spread on top of the phyllo sheets. This is much, much better than apple pie. Will be a recipe I use again in the future - I am excited to play around with it. Thank you very much for sharing!!