1/1 Photo of Arnaki Kleftiko (Bandit's Lamb)
2 hrs 50 mins
2 hrs 30 mins
Member #610488's Note:
This recipe is an adaptation of a dish fixed in the mountains by guerillas (bandits) who needed to cook without being seen. They placed the meat on coals in a hole, covered it up, and let it cook for up to 24 hours. No trace of any stolen animal, and no smell of cooking meat to give them away.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Preheat the oven to 480°F
- 2Rub the lamb with a little olive oil, and sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste.
- 3With a sharp knife, pierce the lamb and insert a clove of garlic and a piece of cheese into each opening. Do this until the cloves are all inserted into the lamb.
- 4Drizzle the potatoes and carrots with any remaining oil, season to taste with salt and pepper.
- 5On a clean work surface, spread out the parchment sheets and lay the lamb in the center, with the potatoes and carrots. If there is any remaining cheese, add as well.
- 6Close the parchment paper and secure well, tucking the sides underneath to make a packet.
- 7Fill a roasting pan 1/3 full of water, add the packet and cook for 2 hours 30 minutes, adding more water to the pan as needed to keep from getting dry.
- 8When done, lift the entire packet onto a serving platter, and cut open at the table to serve.
- 9Alternate preparation: Cut meat into serving size portions and wrap each portion, together with portion-size serving of potatoes and carrots, individually. Set side by side in roasting pan to cook, and serve one packet to each plate.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Arnaki Kleftiko (Bandit's Lamb)
Serving Size: 1 (1009 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1509.7
- Calories from Fat 680
- Total Fat 75.5 g
- Saturated Fat 33.4 g
- Cholesterol 331.1 mg
- Sodium 721.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 102.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 9.6 g
- Sugars 6.2 g
- Protein 102.1 g