1 hr 15 mins
Member #610488's Note:
The combination of fried cod steaks with skorthalia garlic puree is a Greek classic. The recipe is from a local Greek restaurant which served it as a dinner special
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 1/2 lbs dry salt cod fish or 2 1/2 lbs frozen desalinated cod steaks
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup olive oil
- 1If using dry salt cod: Soak in water for 12 hours or overnight (in the refrigerator if the weather is warm), changing the water 4-6 times. Scrape off scales and remove visible bones, if any. If using frozen desalinated cod: Defrost and scrape off scales, if any. (Frozen steaks usually have no visible bones.)
- 2Make the Skorthalia ahead of time. Peel the potatoes and boil in salted water until well done (easily pierced with a fork). Sprinkle with pepper and mash.
- 3In the blender bowl of the food processor (or with a hand mixer), purée the potatoes and garlic until well mixed, about 30-45 seconds.
- 4Still puréeing, slowly add the olive oil and vinegar, alternating between them until the mixture is smooth. Skorthalia should be creamy and thick.
- 5If it gets too thick, add a little cold water (not more than 1/4 cup).
- 6When ready to cook, cut the fish into 1 1/2 to 2 inch slices.
- 7In a bowl, add the flour slowly to the water, stirring briskly with a wire whisk or fork until the flour has dissolved. The batter will be fairly thin.
- 8Dip the fish into the batter and fry in hot oil, about 6-10 minutes per side (depending on the thickness) until dark golden.
- 9Serve with one fourth of skorthalia garlic puree mixture per person.
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Athena's Bakaliaros Me Skorthalia (Fried Cod With Garlic Sauce)
Serving Size: 1 (674 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 2037.2
- Calories from Fat 1037
- Total Fat 115.2 g
- Saturated Fat 16.3 g
- Cholesterol 431.6 mg
- Sodium 21717.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 56.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.8 g
- Sugars 1.5 g
- Protein 185.6 g