1 hr 15 mins
Member #610488's Note:
This Greek recipe is a favorite dish of Chef Cat Cora. It is probably not the actual recipe she grew up with since it's from a local Greek restaurant.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 1/2 lbs chicken pieces
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cups onions, chopped
- 2 tablespoons garlic, minced and divided
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained (Hunts, use Fire Roasted)
- 1 tablespoon fresh oregano, chopped
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste (Hunts)
- 1/2 cup mizithra cheese (optional) or 1/2 cup kasseri cheese (optional) or 1/2 cup parmesan cheese (optional)
- 1Mix salt, pepper and cinnamon in small bowl; rub chicken pieces with salt mixture.
- 2Heat oil in 11-inch skillet with high sides over high heat until hot. Add chicken, skin side down. Cook 4 to 5 minutes on each side or until brown. (Cook chicken in 2 batches if pan is too small for chicken to brown properly.).
- 3Remove chicken from skillet and place on plate; keep warm. Reduce heat to medium-high. Add onion and 1 tablespoon garlic. Cook 3 minutes or until onion is tender, stirring occasionally.
- 4Add wine and scrape bottom of skillet with wooden spoon to loosen any cooked-on brown bits. Continue cooking until wine has evaporated. Add undrained tomatoes, remaining garlic and oregano to skillet; stir.
- 5Return chicken, skin side down, and juices to skillet. Cover; reduce heat to low. Cook slowly 25 to 30 minutes or until chicken is tender and no longer pink.
- 6Remove chicken from skillet; keep warm. Stir tomato paste into sauce. Cook uncovered over medium heat 10 minutes or until sauce reduces by about half.
- 7Serve chicken with sauce. Sprinkle each serving with cheese, if desired.
Browse Our Top Chicken Thigh & Leg Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Chicken Thigh & Leg Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Athena's Koto Kapama (Greek Stewed Chicken)
Serving Size: 1 (473 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 666.7
- Calories from Fat 391
- Total Fat 43.4 g
- Saturated Fat 11.4 g
- Cholesterol 181.1 mg
- Sodium 1083.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 15.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.4 g
- Sugars 6.9 g
- Protein 47.2 g