Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 25 mins
Cook 50 mins
This Greek recipe is a favorite dish of Chef Cat Cora. It is probably not the actual recipe she grew up with since it's from a local Greek restaurant.
- 3 1⁄2 lbs chicken pieces
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cups onions, chopped
- 2 tablespoons garlic, minced and divided
- 1⁄2 cup dry white wine
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained (Hunts, use Fire Roasted)
- 1 tablespoon fresh oregano, chopped
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste (Hunts)
- 1⁄2 cup mizithra cheese (optional) or 1⁄2 cup kasseri cheese (optional) or 1⁄2 cup parmesan cheese (optional)
- Mix salt, pepper and cinnamon in small bowl; rub chicken pieces with salt mixture.
- Heat oil in 11-inch skillet with high sides over high heat until hot. Add chicken, skin side down. Cook 4 to 5 minutes on each side or until brown. (Cook chicken in 2 batches if pan is too small for chicken to brown properly.).
- Remove chicken from skillet and place on plate; keep warm. Reduce heat to medium-high. Add onion and 1 tablespoon garlic. Cook 3 minutes or until onion is tender, stirring occasionally.
- Add wine and scrape bottom of skillet with wooden spoon to loosen any cooked-on brown bits. Continue cooking until wine has evaporated. Add undrained tomatoes, remaining garlic and oregano to skillet; stir.
- Return chicken, skin side down, and juices to skillet. Cover; reduce heat to low. Cook slowly 25 to 30 minutes or until chicken is tender and no longer pink.
- Remove chicken from skillet; keep warm. Stir tomato paste into sauce. Cook uncovered over medium heat 10 minutes or until sauce reduces by about half.
- Serve chicken with sauce. Sprinkle each serving with cheese, if desired.