1/4 Photos of Authentic Greek Moussaka
BLUE ROSE's Note:
This recipe came from a neighbor of mine. When they heard of the world challange I was doing they offered me this recipe. A greek family ofcource. This is a favorite of theirs! Time Does not include Prep work.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons margarine
- 1 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 1/2 lbs ground chuck or 1 1/2 lbs lamb
- 1 crushed garlic clove
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano leaves
- 1 teaspoon dried basil leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 dash pepper
- 2 (8 ounce) cans tomato sauce
- 2 medium eggplants
- 1 dash salt
- 1/2 cup butter or 1/2 cup margarine, melted
- 1Meat Sauce:.
- 2Melt butter in a 3 1/2 Quart Dutch oven, sauté onion, ground chuck or lamb and garlic, stirring until brown, 10 minutes.
- 3Add herbs, spices and tomato sauce and stirring until it starts to boiling.
- 4Reduce heat and simmer, uncover, 1/2 hour.
- 5Halve unpaired eggplants lengthwise. Slice 1/2-inch thick.
- 6Place in bottom of broiler and sprinkle lightly with salt.
- 7Brush lightly with melted butter.
- 8Broil 4-inches from heat, 4 minutes per side, or until golden.
- 9Preheat oven to 350 Degrees.
- 10Make Cream Sauce.
- 11In medium saucepan, melt butter.
- 12Remove from heat and stir in flour, salt and pepper. Add milk gradually.
- 13Bring to boiling, stirring until thickened.
- 14Remove from heat.
- 15In small bowl beat eggs with wire whisk.
- 16Beat in some hot Cream Sauce mixture. Return mixture to saucepan and mix well. Set aside.
- 17To assemble casserole, in bottom of shallow, 2 quart baking dish (12x7x2 inches).
- 18Layer half of eggplants, overlapping slightly. Sprinkle with 2 Tbsp of each of grated parmesan and cheddar cheese. Stir bread crumbs into meat sauce. Spoon evenly over eggplant in casserole, then sprinkle with 2 Tbsp of each of parmesan and cheddar cheese.
- 19Layer rest of eggplant spices, overlapping, as before. Pour Cream Sauce over all. Sprinkle top of remaining cheese.
- 20Back 35 to 40 Minutes or until golden brown and top is set.
- 21If desired, brown top of little more under broiler, 1 minute.
- 22Cool slightly to serve. Cut in Squares.
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Authentic Greek Moussaka
Serving Size: 1 (275 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 316.9
- Calories from Fat 195
- Total Fat 21.7 g
- Saturated Fat 12.0 g
- Cholesterol 116.9 mg
- Sodium 763.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 13.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.0 g
- Sugars 4.5 g
- Protein 18.0 g