Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
If you prefer a stronger lemon flavor then increase the juice to 1/2 cup that will give you an extreme lemon flavor, use fresh lemon juice only --- you may use as much cooked rice and chicken as desired, if you have ever had this soup in a Greek restaurant or in Greece and enjoyed it, then you will *love* this! --- homemade chicken broth is always better to use but canned will do fine for this recipe --- see my Kittencal's Best Chicken Stock/Broth (Crock Pot Option)
- 8 cups chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon chicken bouillon powder (I use 1 small package)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄3 cup fresh lemon juice (for a strong lemon flavor increase to 1/2 cup lemon juice, use fresh only)
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 stalk celery, finely diced
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1⁄4 cup butter (very soft)
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 7 egg yolks
- salt (to taste)
- 2 -3 cups cooked cubed chicken
- cooked white rice
- lemon slice
- In a large pot combine the chicken broth, lemon juice, bouillon powder, garlic powder, chopped onion, celery and black pepper; bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- In a bowl whisk the very soft butter with flour until smooth.
- While the soup is simmering gradually add to the broth stirring/whisking constantly; then simmer for about 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile in a heat-proof bowl beat or whisk the egg yolks until pale in colour.
- Gradually add a little of the hot soup into the egg yolks whisking/stirring constantly.
- Return the egg mixture back into the pot and heat through, stirring constantly.
- Season with salt to taste.
- Add in the cooked rice and chicken then heat through.
- Ladle into bowls and top each bowl with 1 or 2 lemon slices.