Prep 10 mins
Cook 3 hrs 10 mins
Found this on FoodTV site and am posting it for ZWT6. This is by Cat Cora and sounds delicious!! You might want to start out by using 2/3 of the stated amount of lemon juice and then if it isn't lemony enough, add the other 1/3 per reviewers comments.
- Place the chicken in a large pot with 2 quarts cold water, enough to cover the chicken. Bring to a boil and reduce heat to low, skimming when necessary.
- In a separate pan, heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil and add the onions. Sweat the onions until clear. Set aside.
- When chicken is cooked through, remove from the broth. Let the chicken cool and pull the meat from the bones. Dice into large cubes. Set aside.
- Add the onion, bay leaves, leek, and carrot to the broth and simmer for 1 hour. When finished, remove the carrot and leek from the broth and add the rice. Bring to a boil and then turn heat to medium high to simmer until the rice is cooked to al dente, about 30 minutes. Add the chicken back into the broth. Add more water if needed.
- In a small bowl beat the eggs and lemon juice together. Pour 2 cups of broth slowly into the bowl of egg and lemon, whisking continuously. Once all the broth is incorporated, add the mixture into the pot of chicken soup and stir to blend well throughout. Season with salt and pepper. Serve hot.
Made half the recipe as posted with half a chicken. The arborio was the perfect touch, and I juiced a Meyer lemon which finished it off nicely. Great for lunch with a chicken salad sandwich #331090. Thanks for posting a keeper diner. Made for Pick A Chef Spring 2011.
This recipe is very close to the one I made,the difference being that I use celery and not leeks. I make this with long grain rice and I used the half cup of lemon juice. I added the zest in too for extra flavor. A great soup to have around,especially when feeding two little kids.I grated the carrot and I thinly sliced the leek and left them in the soup. Made for ZWT6.