Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
This recipe comes from the 2005 cookbook, The Best Recipes in the World.
Make and share this Avgolemono -- Egg-Lemon Soup (Greece) recipe from Food.com.
- 5 cups vegetable stock
- 1⁄2 cup long-grain rice (or orzo)
- 1 carrot, thinly sliced
- 1 celery rib, minced
- 1 dash salt, to taste
- 1 dash pepper, to taste
- 1 cup tomatoes, seeded, chopped (optional)
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest, minced
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice (more or less)
- Put the stock in a large, deep saucepan & turn heat to medium-high, then just barely bring it to slight boil, before turning the heat down to medium, so that it bubbles a bit.
- Stir in the rice, carrot & celery & cook, stirring occasionally, until the veggies are all tender, about 20 minutes.
- Season with salt & pepper & then, if you're using it, add the tomato before turning the heat down to low.
- In a small bowl, use a whisk to beat the eggs with the lemon zest & juice, & then, STILL BEATING, slowly add 1/2 cup of the hot stock to the egg mixture. Continue beating while adding another cup of the stock.
- Pour this mixture back into the soup & reheat, BUT UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES ALLOW THE MIXTURE TO BOIL OR THE EGGS WILL SCRAMBLE!
- Taste & add salt, pepper or lemon juice as necessary, before serving.
This was very thick and creamy, but I'm afraid that maybe I'm just not fond of lemon in soup. But it did look very nice and I did keep the heat low, so my eggs didn't scramble. I was a little worried that the egg really didn't have a chance to cook....I've had some unpleasant experiences with raw eggs, and didn't want to experience the unpleasantness again! But I resisted the urge to overheat, and my soup remained "unscrambled" and very smooth in texture.
Delish! I really liked this and it was easy to make and healthy, which is a bonus! I didn't use the tomato and I didn't miss it. I did let it get a little hot and the egg got a little scrambled, but I still loved the flavour. I also halved the recipe. The lemon flavour is awesome! Made for Gimme 5. Thanks Sydney Mike! :)
OMG! This is the recipe that makes me so grateful for finding this site! I follow it as written except for the tomatoes, which I didn't use. Because I was going to give some to my 9 month old too ,I left it a little longer on the lowest and it still didn't curdle. So creamy ( i like thick soups).Between me and the little one, half is gone already. My husband is away now,but was drooling over the phone - he loves this soup. Thank you so much and I'll be making this a lot!