1/3 Photos of Avgolemono -- Egg-Lemon Soup (Greece)
Sydney Mike's Note:
This recipe comes from the 2005 cookbook, The Best Recipes in the World.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Put the stock in a large, deep saucepan & turn heat to medium-high, then just barely bring it to slight boil, before turning the heat down to medium, so that it bubbles a bit.
- 2Stir in the rice, carrot & celery & cook, stirring occasionally, until the veggies are all tender, about 20 minutes.
- 3Season with salt & pepper & then, if you're using it, add the tomato before turning the heat down to low.
- 4In a small bowl, use a whisk to beat the eggs with the lemon zest & juice, & then, STILL BEATING, slowly add 1/2 cup of the hot stock to the egg mixture. Continue beating while adding another cup of the stock.
- 5Pour this mixture back into the soup & reheat, BUT UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES ALLOW THE MIXTURE TO BOIL OR THE EGGS WILL SCRAMBLE!
- 6Taste & add salt, pepper or lemon juice as necessary, before serving.
Browse Our Top Lemon Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Lemon Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Avgolemono -- Egg-Lemon Soup (Greece)
Serving Size: 1 (129 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 131.8
- Calories from Fat 24
- Total Fat 2.6 g
- Saturated Fat 0.8 g
- Cholesterol 105.7 mg
- Sodium 93.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 21.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.9 g
- Sugars 1.3 g
- Protein 5.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included: