Prep 5 mins
Cook 40 mins
- Place the chicken in a large stock pot and fill with enough water to cover it.
- Bring to a boil and remove the foam.
- At this point add the onion and salt and pepper to taste.
- Once the chicken is boiled remove it and the onion from the pot.
- Now add the rice or orzo to the broth and let it boil.
- When the rice or orzo is ready, add the avgolemono sauce.
First of all,Avgolemono is not chicken soup. The literal translation is Egg-Lemon. This recipe did not include the egg/lemon wgich is as follows.To 6 cups of chicken stock, add 1/3 cup of orzo or rice. Separate 3 eggs. Beat whites with 1/4 tsp of salt, until stiff. Add yolks one at a time with mixer on low speed, until blended.Slowly add 1/4 cup fresh (not bottled)lemon juice. Continuiing to beat, slowly add 1 cup of the stock. Pour the egg/lemon mixture to the rmaining stock and heat through, over low heat stirring until thickened enough to coat a spoon. DELICIOUS! (and authentic)
This was a great recipe,It was easy to follow I'm not sure why the other reviewer had a hard time with it.I will definatly use it again.My friend from asia fixed it for her inlaws and she said they loved it.