From the July 10, 2009 issue of Athens Plus magazine. This recipe is from Dina Nikolaou.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 large eggplants, cut in 1 cm slices
- 6 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, finely sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, finely sliced
- 8 ripe tomatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 300 g goat's cheese, grated
- 1 cup fresh parsley leaves, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup fresh basil leaves, finely chopped or 1/4 teaspoon dried basil
- 1Put the eggplant slices in a colander, salt well and leave for at least half an hour until they sweat, to remove the bitterness. It will also prevent them from absorbing too much oil while cooking.
- 2Rinse with cold water, dry with kitchen paper and lay on a baking tray.
- 3Brush the slices on both sides with the olive oil and grill on the highest shelf in the oven for 3-4 minutes on each side.
- 4Remove and set aside.
- 5Heat the onion and garlic in 2-3 tablespoons of water in a large frying pan, add the tomatoes and 2 tablespoons of oil and stir.
- 6Add the oregano and thyme, season and simmer (at 3 on a scale of 1-9 or at 1 on a scale of 1-3) for about six minutes or until the sauce thickens a little.
- 7Remove from the hob and add the fresh herbs (parsley, basil).
- 8Preheat the oven to 200°C.
- 9Lightly oil a deep baking dish (about 30x22 cm), add a layer of eggplant and sprinkle with half the cheese.
- 10Then add a layer of sauce, continue with the rest of the eggplant slices and then the rest of the cheese.
- 11Add the rest of the sauce and bake in the oven for 30 minutes.
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Baked Eggplant With Cheese
Serving Size: 1 (802 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 617.2
- Calories from Fat 397
- Total Fat 44.1 g
- Saturated Fat 18.5 g
- Cholesterol 59.2 mg
- Sodium 417.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 39.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 18.2 g
- Sugars 19.3 g
- Protein 23.4 g