Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 30 mins
Cook 40 mins
This is my favorite recipe. The chicken and vegetables bake in the garlic lemon juice and are soooo good. I have also made this with a large roasting chicken. I'm not sure where I got it but I'm glad I did !!!
- 2 (3 lb) broiler-fryer chickens
- 2 large lemons
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano or 3 tablespoons fresh oregano
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed
- 3⁄4 cup olive oil
- 2 medium onions, sliced medium
- 4 stalks celery, sliced diagonally in pieces
- 4 carrots, peeled, sliced 2 inch pieces
- 6 red potatoes, 2 in cubes, leave skin on
- 2⁄3 cup fresh lemon juice
- 2⁄3 cup chicken broth
- 1⁄4 lb butter, melted
- Preheat oven to 500 degrees.
- Rinse chickens, pat dry, discard fat. Using double tined fork, pierce lemons all over at 1/4 inch intervals.
- Place a lemon in the cavity of each chicken and close with skewers.
- In a small bowl, combine salt, pepper, oregano, garlic and 1/4 cup olive oil into a paste and rub over chickens.
- Place onion, celery, carrots, and potatoes in the bottom of a lrg. roasting pan. Place chickens on top of veggies, breast side DOWN.
- In med. bowl stir together fresh lemon juice, chicken broth, melted butter, and 1/2 cup olive oil. Carefully pour over top of chicken and veggies.
- Bake at 500 degrees for 20 minutes, basting veggies well.
- Reduce heat to 450 degrees and carefully turn the chickens over to breast side UP. Bake for 20 minutes more, basting frequently.
- Remove from oven and let rest for 15 to 20 minutes for the juices to settle.
- Remove lemons from chicken (save). Cut chicken into quarters and arrange on platter with veggies.
- Cut the lemons in 1/2 and squeeze juices over chicken and veggies.
Delicious! I halved the recipe and used 3 bone-in half chicken breasts. I think the cooking time was 25-30 minutes. I did not time it. I baked it until it was 165 degrees. Great recipe! Very moist and full of flavor! Made for PAC Spring 2010.