Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This is my favorite recipe. The chicken and vegetables bake in the garlic lemon juice and are soooo good. I have also made this with a large roasting chicken. I'm not sure where I got it but I'm glad I did !!!
- 2 (3 lb) broiler-fryer chickens
- 2 large lemons
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano or 3 tablespoons fresh oregano
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed
- 3⁄4 cup olive oil
- 2 medium onions, sliced medium
- 4 stalks celery, sliced diagonally in pieces
- 4 carrots, peeled, sliced 2 inch pieces
- 6 red potatoes, 2 in cubes, leave skin on
- 2⁄3 cup fresh lemon juice
- 2⁄3 cup chicken broth
- 1⁄4 lb butter, melted
- Preheat oven to 500 degrees.
- Rinse chickens, pat dry, discard fat. Using double tined fork, pierce lemons all over at 1/4 inch intervals.
- Place a lemon in the cavity of each chicken and close with skewers.
- In a small bowl, combine salt, pepper, oregano, garlic and 1/4 cup olive oil into a paste and rub over chickens.
- Place onion, celery, carrots, and potatoes in the bottom of a lrg. roasting pan. Place chickens on top of veggies, breast side DOWN.
- In med. bowl stir together fresh lemon juice, chicken broth, melted butter, and 1/2 cup olive oil. Carefully pour over top of chicken and veggies.
- Bake at 500 degrees for 20 minutes, basting veggies well.
- Reduce heat to 450 degrees and carefully turn the chickens over to breast side UP. Bake for 20 minutes more, basting frequently.
- Remove from oven and let rest for 15 to 20 minutes for the juices to settle.
- Remove lemons from chicken (save). Cut chicken into quarters and arrange on platter with veggies.
- Cut the lemons in 1/2 and squeeze juices over chicken and veggies.