Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Make and share this Baklava recipe from Food.com.
- 12 ounces phyllo pastry
- 2⁄3 cup butter, melted
- 2 cups walnuts, chopped
- 1 cup almonds, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup powdered sugar
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 pinch ground cloves
- sugar syrup
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 cups water
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 3 whole cloves
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 slice lemon zest (thin strip)
- Preheat oven to 325.
- Butter the base and sides of a 13x9 baking dish.
- Place 10 sheets of phyllo, seperately, into the pan, brushing each sheet with the melted butter.
- Mix together the nuts, sugar, cinnamon and cloves and spread half of this mixture over the pastry.
- Layer another 3 sheets of pastry over the nut mixture, burshing each sheet with the melted butter.
- Spread over the remaining nut mixture and top with the remaining pastry sheets, each brushed with melted butter.
- Brush the top sheet with melted butter again and slice through the top layers with a very sharp knife to create diamond shapes. Sprinkle lightly with water to prevent the pastry from curling and lifting.
- Bake for 1 hour.
- Meanwhile, prepare the sugar syrup. Place all syrup ingredients in a saucepan and heat until the sugar has dissolved. Heat to boiling for 10 minutes, stirring often.
- Remove from heat and cool. Strain, and pour over the baklava when it is removed from the oven. Let syrup soak in for 3 hours before cutting and serving.