1 hr 30 mins
This recipe was given to my mom by a friend from Greece and is made each Holiday Season.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Unroll filo dough and cut cross-wise down the middle.
- 2Melt butter and keep hot while preparing the filo dough.
- 3Grease a 13x9x2 inch pan with melted butter. Place 5 layers of dough in pan, brush with hot butter, and sprinkle sparingly with cinnamon and sugar.
- 4Put in another 5 layers, brush with hot butter, sprinkle sparingly with chopped walnuts and cinnamon and sugar.
- 5Repeat until all the dough is used; don't put any nuts within 5 layers of the top.
- 6Cut into diamond shapes, being careful to cut clear through.
- 7Using a spoon, pour enough hot butter on top to cover each piece of baklava.
- 8Bake 15 minutes at 350 degrees.
- 9Pour remaining hot butter over the top without removing the pan from the oven and bake another 25 minutes.
- 10While baklava is baking, make the syrup by combining the sugar, water, honey, and lemon juice and simmering over low heat until the baklava is done and the sugar is dissolved.
- 11When the pan is out of the oven, drain as much of the butter as possible. Then, remove one piece from a corner, leave pan in a tilted position for 15 minutes and keep removing excess butter, soaking it up with a paper towel.
- 12Finally, add the lukewarm syrup to the baklava in the pan.
Browse Our Top Pies and Tarts Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Baklava
Serving Size: 1 (1427 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 272.4
- Calories from Fat 177
- Total Fat 19.7 g
- Saturated Fat 11.9 g
- Cholesterol 48.8 mg
- Sodium 112.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 22.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.4 g
- Sugars 10.9 g
- Protein 1.8 g