1 hr 45 mins
You can pay a premium for Baklava at the store. Or, you can make it yourself at home. It really is much more simple than believed! Make one tray for the home, or several for entertaining and the holidays.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 9 phyllo pastry sheets (from a 1-pound package look in the frozen section at the local grocery)
- 1 cup walnuts (finely chopped the finer the better)
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter (melted)
- 1 cup honey syrup (see below)
- 1Place an 8" round cake pan on a stack of sheets, and use as a template to make phyllo circles. You can get one entire circle, and one half-circle, from each stack of sheets. Use as much phyllo as possible.
- 2Butter cake pan, preheat oven to 350.
- 3Create six layers of phyllo, and brush each layer with butter.
- 4Create fifteen layers of phyllo-butter-1 TBSP walnuts on top of the above.
- 5Create six more layers of phyllo brushed with butter on top of the above.
- 6Score top approximately 1/2" deep, to form 16 triangles.
- 7Bake for 45 minutes, until it reaches a golden brown.
- 8Pour honey syrup on top of pastry, slice through the remaining layers of phyllo, and allow to cool several hours before serving.
- 9Honey Syrup:This is the honey syrup for the Baklava. You can store the extra syrup in the refridgerator until needed.
- 10Combine first five ingredients in a saucepan, bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer until it thickens slightly (approximately 10-15 minutes).
- 11Strain out rind and spices. Stir in honey, lemon juice, and brandy. Cool.
- 12Use for pastries.
Browse Our Top Crusts/Pastry Dough Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Baklava
Serving Size: 1 (123 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 16
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 353.3
- Calories from Fat 100
- Total Fat 11.1 g
- Saturated Fat 4.2 g
- Cholesterol 15.2 mg
- Sodium 54.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 63.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.7 g
- Sugars 56.9 g
- Protein 2.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included: