Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
I can't claim this as my own since it was found on another on line site. My kids had as much fun helping make this recipe as they did eating it.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Butter the bottoms and sides of a 9x13 inch pan.
- Chop nuts and toss with cinnamon.
- Set aside.
- Unroll phyllo dough.
- Cut whole stack in half to fit pan.
- Cover phyllo with a dampened cloth to keep from drying out as you work.
- Place two sheets of dough in pan, butter thoroughly.
- Repeat until you have 8 sheets layered.
- Sprinkle 2- 3 tablespoons of nut mixture on top.
- Top with two sheets of dough, butter, nuts, layering as you go.
- The top layer should be about 6- 8 sheets deep.
- Using a sharp knife cut into diamond or square shapes all the way to the bottom of the pan.
- You may cut into 4 long rows the make diagonal cuts.
- Bake for about 50 minutes until baklava is golden and crisp.
- Make sauce while baklava is baking.
- Boil sugar and water until sugar is melted.
- Add vanilla and honey.
- Simmer for about 20 minutes.
- Remove baklava from oven and immediately spoon sauce over it.
- Let cool.
- Serve in cupcake papers.
- This freezes well.
- Leave it uncovered as it gets soggy if it is wrapped up.