Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 40 mins
Cook 42 mins
Long a delicacy of Greece and the Middle East, this pastry is sure to satisfy the most discriminating taste buds.
- ----------The Syrup----------.
- Boil the water and sugar for 2 minutes.
- Add the rose water.
- Cool and then refrigerate.
- -----------The Filling--------------.
- Grind the nuts, sugar and rosewater together in a food processor or blender until of a pasty consistency.
- Brush oblong cake pan with melted margarine.
- Place a sheet of phyllo in the pan, brush with margarine and continue this until you have used half the phyllo and half the margarine.
- Sprinkle the filling evenly over the top.
- Layer the rest of the phyllo and margarine, brushing the top with margarine.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Cut 1 inch wide strips to the bottom of the pan, and then cut on the diagonal to make diamond shapes.
- Bake for 30 minutes, then reduce the heat to 300°F and bake about 10 minutes more, or until golden brown.
- Re-cut the pieces you have already cut, then pour the syrup over all.
- The syrup will absorb into the pastry.
- Let cool at room temperature for several hours before serving.
This is a wonderful recipe, Carol! To heck with the calories! The rose water gives it just the right flavor.
I make this yearly at christmas, and I was so happy to read that your version does not contain honey. Neither does mine. The only thing I found negative in this recipe is the margarine. You cannot use margarine, you must use clarified butter, or it is called ghee. If u use margarine the pyhlo dough will get soggy. I also do not put the rose water in my filling, only a small anount of butter.
This is WONDERFUL. Good job, Carol!