1 hr 22 mins
Carol Bullock's Note:
Long a delicacy of Greece and the Middle East, this pastry is sure to satisfy the most discriminating taste buds.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 cup water
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 2 tablespoons rose water
- 1 lb phyllo dough, cut in half to make 9x13 inch sheets
- 1 cup margarine, melted
- 1----------The Syrup----------.
- 2Boil the water and sugar for 2 minutes.
- 3Add the rose water.
- 4Cool and then refrigerate.
- 5-----------The Filling--------------.
- 6Grind the nuts, sugar and rosewater together in a food processor or blender until of a pasty consistency.
- 8Brush oblong cake pan with melted margarine.
- 9Place a sheet of phyllo in the pan, brush with margarine and continue this until you have used half the phyllo and half the margarine.
- 10Sprinkle the filling evenly over the top.
- 11Layer the rest of the phyllo and margarine, brushing the top with margarine.
- 12Preheat oven to 350°F.
- 13Cut 1 inch wide strips to the bottom of the pan, and then cut on the diagonal to make diamond shapes.
- 14Bake for 30 minutes, then reduce the heat to 300°F and bake about 10 minutes more, or until golden brown.
- 15Re-cut the pieces you have already cut, then pour the syrup over all.
- 16The syrup will absorb into the pastry.
- 17Let cool at room temperature for several hours before serving.
Browse Our Top Pies and Tarts Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Baklava
Serving Size: 1 (1551 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 242.3
- Calories from Fat 130
- Total Fat 14.4 g
- Saturated Fat 2.3 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 173.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 26.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.9 g
- Sugars 16.2 g
- Protein 2.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included: