1 hr 25 mins
1 hr 5 mins
In the 1970s and early 1980s, Laurel, Maryland was home to Tag's Restaurant, one of the finest and least expensive Mediterranean restaurants in the state and the place was always packed on weekends. Family owned and operated by the Photinakis family, the restaurant fell victim to a devastating fire and never re-opened. Hostess and waitress Mama Photinakis was also the baker in the family and she prepared all their wonderful fresh desserts. Her baklava was a favourite among the regular diners, and although I cannot duplicate her recipe, this recipe comes very close. I hope you enjoy it.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb phyllo dough
- 1 1/2 lbs walnuts, chopped
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 orange, grated rind only
- 1 lb unsalted butter
Ingredients for Syrup
- 1Combine syrup ingredients and boil for 10 minutes.
- 2Mix nuts, sugar, cinnamon and orange rind well.
- 3Melt the butter and brush on a 13-inch by 9-inch pan.
- 4Place one layer of phyllo in pan allowing ends to extend over pan.
- 5Brush with melted butter.
- 6Repeat with four sheets of phyllo.
- 7Sprinkle heavily with nut mixture, and continue to alternate one layer of phyllo, brush with melted butter, sprinkle heavily with nut mixture until all ingredients are used.
- 8Be sure to reserve 4 sheets of phyllo for the top (each to be brushed with butter).
- 9Brush top with remaining butter, trim edges with sharp knife.
- 10Cut through top with diagonal lines to form diamond shapes.
- 11Bake in a 400°F oven for 15 minutes, lower oven to 300 degrees and continue to bake for 40 minutes.
- 12The baklava should be golden brown in color.
- 13While still hot, cover with prepared syrup and let stand overnight before serving.
- 14Baklava should rest for 24 hours before removing from pan.
- 15Will keep in refrigerator for weeks or it can be frozen.
Browse Our Top Pies and Tarts Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Pies and Tarts Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Baklava - a Tribute to Tag's
Serving Size: 1 (122 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 24
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 490.7
- Calories from Fat 314
- Total Fat 34.9 g
- Saturated Fat 11.7 g
- Cholesterol 40.6 mg
- Sodium 94.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 43.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.4 g
- Sugars 30.0 g
- Protein 5.9 g