bluemoon downunder's Note:
One of several recipes featured as a dish to be served for a Greek-style meal, in the November issue of the Australian magazine 'Super Food Ideas', and posted for the 2005 Zaar World Tour. The preparation and cooking times do not include the 30 minutes standing time, to allow the syrup to be fully absorbed by the baklava.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3/4 cup sesame seeds
- 4 cups walnuts, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup ground cinnamon
- 8 sheets phyllo pastry
- 100 g unsalted butter, melted
- 1Preheat the oven to 200°C/400°F, and lightly grease a shallow baking tray.
- 2Place the sesame seeds in a small, non-stick pan over a medium heat, and cook, while shaking the pan gently, for 3-5 minutes or until golden and toasted.
- 3Transfer to a bowl, add the walnuts and cinnamon and mix well.
- 4Brush 1 pastry sheet with the melted butter and fold in half crossways to form a rectangle.
- 5Sprinkle 1/4 cup of the walnut mixture evenly over the pastry; and starting from one of the long ends, roll it up into a log. Brush with butter. Place on a baking tray; and repeat with the remaining pastry, butter and walnut mixture.
- 6Bake the baklava for 10-12 minutes or until golden; and then allow them to cool on the baking tray.
- 7The Honey Syrup: Peel 1 large strip of rind from the lemon, remove the pith, juice half the lemon; then place the lemon rind, lemon juice, sugar, honey, cinnamon stick, cloves and 2 cups of water in a saucepan over a medium heat.
- 8Cook, stirring often, for 5 minutes or until the sugar has dissolved; increase the heat to high and bring to the boil; reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer gently for 10 minutes or until the honey syrup thickens slightly.
- 9Pour the hot honey syrup over the cold baklava, and stand for 30 minutes or until the baklava has absorbed the syrup. Cut each baklava diagonally into 3 pieces and serve.
- 10Tip: Purchase phyllo pastry from the fridge not the freezer, as the layers will separate much more easily.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Baklava With Honey Syrup
Serving Size: 1 (184 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 876.0
- Calories from Fat 506
- Total Fat 56.2 g
- Saturated Fat 11.2 g
- Cholesterol 26.8 mg
- Sodium 97.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 92.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 8.4 g
- Sugars 69.0 g
- Protein 13.1 g