Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 30 mins
Cook 0 mins
Phyllo dough is easier bought, but for the adventurous, here is a Flemmish recipe for making your own dough!
- Sift the flour with the salt.
- Make a well in the middle of the flour.
- In the well put the water and the olive oil.
- Work the dough until it hangs well together.
- Dust flour on a table or board.
- Knead the dough for about 5-7 minutes.
- The dough should be smooth and not stick to the board.
- Roll the dough out to a big rectangle.
- Lay a damp towel over it and let it rest for about 15 minutes.
- Flour your hands and work the dough from the middle outwards until you have the dough stretched to about 3 ft by 3 ft (1meter x 1meter)If work table is not big enough to roll out a 3 ft. by 3 ft. dough, divide the dough into 9 (divide into 3, then divide each third into 3 more) and roll out each portion into 1 ft. by 1 ft. sheet. Cut the dough with a sharp knife or pizza cutter to the desired sheet size.
- Continue with the recipe that requires the phyllo dough.
Thanks, Taylor, this recipe was great - and so easy to make! I never knew that phyllo dough was so simple. I quartered the recipe because I only wanted to make about one sheet. It was very easy to handle, and I'd recommend dividing the dough into three or four separate chunks before rolling. Thanks again!
I havent made this yet .But I want to thank you . I have look other places and couldnt find it. I didnt want to go out and buy it. So thanks carolyn/lancaster,ca
I made this exactly as written and it was great! The dough held together even rolled out tissue thin. I made a second batch that I rolled out into sheets with waxed paper in between and put in the freezer. When I thaw and use it I'll let you know how it freezes!