Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
This is a nice side dish for spring or summer. It goes very nicely as a side for fish or seafood. Feel free to adjust the amount of garlic to your taste. The orzo pasta can be cooked up to 4 hrs ahead: cook and drain, then rinse under cold water; drain again and store covered in the refrigerator. Found in Sunset magazine.
- 1 lb orzo pasta
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1 yellow bell pepper
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1 1⁄2 cups basil leaves, lightly packed
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1⁄4 lb cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1⁄4 lb feta cheese, crumbled
- 1 (4 ounce) jar capers, drained
- Bring 3 qts of water to a boil in a large pot. Add orzo and cook until pasta is just tender to bite, ten minutes. Drain orzo and return to pan.
- Meanwhile, finely chop bell peppers, set aside.
- In a food processor, combine butter, basil and garlic. Add this mixture to orzo in pan. Stir over medium-low heat until butter is melted and pasta is hot.
- Stir in peppers, tomatoes, cheese and capers, Pour onto a rimmed platter and serve hot, warm or at room temperature.
Beautiful tasty side dish! I did use the food processor just chopped the basil and added everything to the cooked pasta.Added a nice dose of black pepper and extra garlic. Made for Whine and Cheese of ZWT 6. Thanks!
What a great orzo dish! A perfect accompaniment to grilled garlic prawns. I like to char my capers in a little olive oil to take some of the bitter away and give a nice earthy flavor to them. I haven't had orzo in ages and thoroughly enjoyed this dish.