1/1 Photo of Beef and Eggplant Stew (Greek - Crock Pot Version)
8 hrs 25 mins
8 hrs 10 mins
This is a delicious Greek stew that I have adapted for the crock pot. The spices give it the characteristic Mediterranean flavour and the sauce is divine. The eggplant will be very soft, and some pieces may even have melted into the sauce. This is terrific served over a thick pasta, like penne or rigatoni.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 lbs lean stewing beef, cut in 1 1/2 inch chunks
- 2 medium onions, sliced thin
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 8 Japanese eggplants (the long, thin, striated white and purply ones)
- 1 cup beef stock
- 1 (1 lb) can tomato sauce
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 3/4 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon allspice
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 cup minced parsley
- 1/2 cup cubed feta cheese (optional)
- 1Wash the eggplant, then top and tail.
- 2Don't bother to peel, just cut into 1 inch thick segments.
- 3In large skillet, brown the beef, onions, garlic and eggplant in olive oil until dark golden-brown; drain.
- 4Place in crock pot.
- 5Combine the beef stock with the tomato sauce, vinegar, sugar, spices, and salt and pepper to taste, and stir it into the meat.
- 6Cover and cook on low heat for 8-10 hours.
- 7If serving with pasta, prepare pasta until al dente, pour onto a large serving platter and cover with meat, eggplant and sauce (you may add the feta- it is delicious).
- 8Sprinkle minced parsley over.
- 9If serving on its own as a main course, garnish with parsley and feta, serve with a green salad, lots of crusty bread (the sauce has to be mopped up!), and plenty of red wine.
Browse Our Top Stew Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Stew Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Beef and Eggplant Stew (Greek - Crock Pot Version)
Serving Size: 1 (797 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 587.0
- Calories from Fat 253
- Total Fat 28.1 g
- Saturated Fat 8.4 g
- Cholesterol 110.5 mg
- Sodium 648.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 50.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 26.8 g
- Sugars 22.5 g
- Protein 40.7 g