1 hr 25 mins
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 lbs beef, Ground
- 1 medium onion, Chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, Minced
- 1/2 lb fresh mushrooms, Sliced
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 1/4 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1/3 cup Burgundy wine or 1/3 cup rose wine
- 1 large egg
- 1 (8 ounce) packet cream cheese, Softened
- 1 cup cream-style cottage cheese
- 1/2 cup feta cheese, Crumbled
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, Melted (Unsalted margarine, melted, can also be used.)
- 8 ounces phyllo pastry sheets, defrosted (1/2 Package)
- 1/4 cup dry breadcrumbs
- 1Combine ground beef, onion and garlic in a large frying-pan; cook, stirring frequently until beef loses pink color.
- 2Pour off drippings.
- 3Add mushrooms, bay leaf, salt, chili powder, cumin powder, and cinnamon; cook, stirring frequently, until mushrooms are tender about 5 minutes.
- 4Stir in tomato sauce and wine; cook, covered, 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- 5Remove bay leaf.
- 6Cool while preparing cheese filling.
- 7Combine egg and cream cheese in medium bowl, beat with electric mixer until smooth.
- 8Stir in cottage and feta cheeses and blend.
- 9Brush 13 x 9-inch baking pan with melted butter.
- 10Line pan with 1 sheet of pastry, fitting pastry to contour of pan. (Pastry will come up over edges of pan.) Brush pastry with butter.
- 11Layer with 3 more pastry sheets, brushing each with butter.
- 12Sprinkle bread crumbs evenly over top.
- 13Spoon 1/5 of meat filling in layer over crumbs and 1/5 of the cheese filling over meat.
- 14Place 1 pastry sheet over cheese filling, crinkling to fit inside dimensions of pan; brush with butter and layer with 1/5 of the meat and 1/5 to the cheese fillings.
- 15Repeat with 3 more pastry sheets, crinkling each, brushing with butter and topping with fillings.
- 16Turn bottom pastry ends up over filling.
- 17Place remaining 8 pastry sheets smoothly over top, brushing each with butter.
- 18Using spatula, tuck top pastry sheets around inside edges of pan.
- 19With sharp knife, score top lightly in half lengthwise and sixths crosswise.
- 20(Do not cut through) Bake in moderate oven (350 degrees F.) 1 hour or until top is golden brown.
- 21Cool at least 10 minutes before cutting along scored lines.
- 22Place a cherry tomato on each of 12 small wooden picks and insert pick in center of each serving.
- 23Garnish with parsley.
- 24Garnish individual servings with fresh fruit kabobs, if desired.
- 25FRESH FRUIT KABOBS:
- 26To make fresh fruit kabobs, place chunks of fresh pineapple, cantaloupe, whole strwberries or other fruits in season on small wooden skewers.
Browse Our Top Meat Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Meat Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Beef Pita, Greek Style
Serving Size: 1 (226 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 360.5
- Calories from Fat 188
- Total Fat 20.9 g
- Saturated Fat 11.8 g
- Cholesterol 110.9 mg
- Sodium 700.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 17.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.3 g
- Sugars 2.5 g
- Protein 24.6 g