Prep 15 mins
Cook 8 hrs
I used to make this on the stove over very low heat, but since I got a crockpot, I use that. This is good served over white or brown rice.
- 3 lbs lean stewing beef, cut into 1 1/2 inch cubes
- salt and pepper
- 1⁄2 cup butter, melted
- 2 1⁄2 lbs white onions, small,peeled
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1⁄2 cup red table wine
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 clove garlic, pressed
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 piece cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon whole cloves
- 2 tablespoons raisins
- Season the beef with salt and pepper.
- Place butter in the bottom of a large crockpot.
- Add the meat and turn to coat with butter.
- Arrange the onions over the meat.
- Mix the tomato paste through the garlic, and pour over the meat and onions, but do not stir.
- Add the bay leaf through the raisins; do not stir.
- Simmer on low 8-10 hours.
- At serving time, remove the bay leaf, cinnamon stick and cloves and stir the stifado gently to blend.
Sweet-toothed DH absolutely loved this. I added some dried cranberries, too, and used balsamico because that's what I had. Will make this again! Thanks for posting.
This was very easy to make, and DH loved the taste. I used yellow onions that I sliced thick. Thank you!
I made this as a take-home meal for my DS, I actually thought that he would have two meals out of it, but it has already been devoured totally and given high reviews!. I did increase pretty much all the ingredients, and added in some dried oregano. This is absolutely delicious, please do not omit the raisins, it really makes this dish! I plan on trying this with pork also! thanks echo!...Kitten:)