I got this recipe for a cookbook "Greek Cooking for the Gods". I'm a beet lover and really enjoy this. The time does not include the chill time.
- Trim stems from beets leaving 1/4 inch stem attached.
- Place beets in pan with enough water to cover.
- Boil , cover, reduce heat and simmer until tender about 25 minutes.(I have used whole canned beets and sliced them, works well.).
- Drain and cool. peel and slice in 1/4 inch slices.
- Arrange beets on a platter.
- Top with onions and sprinkle with garlic.
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Mix vinegar and oil and pour over beets.
- Refrigerate until well chilled.