Prep 20 mins
Cook 35 mins
This will be the only baklava recipe you will ever use! My dad is from Egypt and is a 5 star master chef and recreated this classic dessert in a simplified version. Super easy that even a beginner chef could try it out with success! You can make with walnuts or pecans (whatever your preference is). So good and can be frozen and enjoyed for months to come!
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- Mix sugar, water, lemon juice and cloves in a small sauce pan. Cook until it is boiling and becomes transparent. Then, remove it from heat and add vanilla and then set aside. Once it has cooled off, place in the fridge.
- Meanwhile, mix together pecans, raisins, coconut, and remaining 1/4c sugar and mix together. Set aside.
- Melt butter and using a pastry brush, spread a thin layer on the bottom and sides of a 13x9 baking pan.
- Take half of the phyllo dough and press down into pan. Pour 1/2 of melted butter on top and spread out with pastry brush, patting it lightly into the dough.
- Spread out filling over the butter and then cover with remaining phyllo dough. Pour and spread remaining butter on top.
- *Important* Make sure that you cut the dough before cooking, so that the butter will soak through all of the layers. Make 5 slices along the width (to make 6 rows) and 2 slices on the length (3 rows). Then slice them diagonally so you end up with 36 triangles.
- Cover with aluminum foil and cook for 10-12 mins covered. Remove cover and cook for an additional 15-20 mins (depends on if you are using a metal or glass pan, the lesser time is for metal). Once it is really golden, pull it out and pour refridgerated sauce over it. Pop it back into the oven for an extra 3-4mins so that it caramelizes. Let it cool to room temperature at which time you can serve it OR you can put it into the freezer covered with aluminium foil. If you freeze, take it out after 2 or more hours (overnight is fine), reslice and wrap in aluminium foil and refreeze. This will keep for months and be really yummy! Enjoy!