Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
I think my version of Greek chicken looks better and tastes more authentic than most of the other recipes I have tried. It's easy to make and tastes superb!
- 1 (4 ounce) packagecrumbled feta cheese (1 cup)
- 4 -5 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano or 1 tablespoon fresh oregano, minced
- 6 large boneless skinless chicken breast halves (about 2 lb.)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh coarse ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 medium tomato, diced
- 2 cups loosedly packed spinach leaves, coarsely chopped
- In a small bowl, mix the cheese, minced garlic, lemon juice, and oregano with a fork until smooth.
- Place chicken in a large heavy-duty freezer bag. Pound the chicken to 1/2-inch thickness. Remove chicken and discard bag.
- With a knife or a small metal spatula, spread the cheese mixture over the inside of each chicken breast half to within 1/2 inch of the edge. Fold the chicken breast in half crosswise to enclose filling and secure with a wooden toothpick.
- On a plate, mix the salt, garlic powder, pepper and 1 TB flour and use this to coat the chicken.
- Heat oil on medium-high heat in a 12-inch skillet (it doesn't have to be nonstick). Add chicken to the hot oil and cook until golden brown on both sides, turning only once.
- While chicken is cooking, mix the chicken broth and remaining flour in a small bowl or measuring cup until smooth.
- Add the broth mixture, tomato and spinach to skillet with the chicken. Heat to boiling over high heat. Lower heat and simmer, covered, for 8-10 minutes until chicken is tender and no longer pink in the center.
- Remove toothpicks and discard.