Prep 15 mins
Cook 50 mins
I found this on alleasyrecipes.com. I'm posting it for ZWT 6. Greece
Make and share this Bobota (Islander Corn Bread) recipe from Food.com.
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1 cup sifted all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon double-acting baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 1⁄3 cup orange juice
- 3⁄4 cup warm water
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil, warmed
- 1 teaspoon grated orange peel
- 1⁄2 cup currants
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 stick cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon honey confectioners' sugar (optional)
- Combine sugar, water, lemon juice, and cinnamon in a medium-sized saucepan, and bring to a boil. Simmer for 20 minutes.
- Remove from heat and add honey. Return syrup to low heat and simmer for 2 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Preheat oven to 375*.
- Sift all dry ingredients into a large bowl. Combine the honey, orange juice, warm water, and warm oil. Stir into dry mixture, beating until smooth.
- Fold in orange peel and currants. Pour batter into a well-greased 7x7 by 2-inch pan and bake for 25 minutes, or until golden.
- Leave in pan to cool, then pour warm Basic Sweet Syrup over it or sprinkle with confectioner's sugar. Cut into squares and serve immediately.
- Note: Syrup can be stored in the refrigerator for 1 month. To use, bring to room temperature.
Good corn bread. This could be eaten as a side or dessert or for breakfast. I cut this recipe in half since it is just DH and I, and made in a mini bread loaf pan. Made for ZWT6.