This takes a long time but is worth it.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Using an electric mixer, beat the cream cheese at high speed until light and fluffy.
- 2Lower the speed and add the ricotta, cottage cheese, 1 1/2 tablespoons sugar, and the nutmeg.
- 3Beat for 1 minute at high speed, then set aside while you prepare the phyllo.
- 4Lay the phyllo flat on a table and keep covered with a damp towel over waxed paper or plastic wrap.
- 5By stacking 4 sheets, form a base of 15 x 18 inches, brushing the top of each sheet with melted butter as you stack them.
- 6Then lay 2 sheets at right angles over the center, using the "base" as a diamond, not a square, brushing the center of each with butter.
- 7Divide the filling into 3 parts and spread one part over the phyllo to form a 7-inch square.
- 8Set the rest of the filling aside.
- 9Fold the top phyllo sheet over the cheese and brush with butter, and continue folding the phyllo over the cheese to make a square, brushing each time with butter.
- 10With a wide spatula, lift the bougatsa and invert onto a cookie sheet.
- 11Brush the top with butter and set aside.
- 12Repeat with the remaining phyllo, filling until all 3 square pies are folded.
- 13Bake in a 350°F oven for 15-20 minutes or until the phyllo puffs up and turns a golden chestnut color.
- 14Cut into small squares and sprinkle with additional sugar.
- 15Serve piping hot.
You Might Also Like...View All Pies and Tarts Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Bougatsa
Serving Size: 1 (198 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 481.7
- Calories from Fat 302
- Total Fat 33.6 g
- Saturated Fat 19.1 g
- Cholesterol 100.3 mg
- Sodium 652.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 27.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.8 g
- Sugars 2.7 g
- Protein 17.5 g