Prep 5 mins
Cook 20 mins
This takes a long time but is worth it.
Make and share this Bougatsa recipe from Food.com.
- Using an electric mixer, beat the cream cheese at high speed until light and fluffy.
- Lower the speed and add the ricotta, cottage cheese, 1 1/2 tablespoons sugar, and the nutmeg.
- Beat for 1 minute at high speed, then set aside while you prepare the phyllo.
- Lay the phyllo flat on a table and keep covered with a damp towel over waxed paper or plastic wrap.
- By stacking 4 sheets, form a base of 15 x 18 inches, brushing the top of each sheet with melted butter as you stack them.
- Then lay 2 sheets at right angles over the center, using the "base" as a diamond, not a square, brushing the center of each with butter.
- Divide the filling into 3 parts and spread one part over the phyllo to form a 7-inch square.
- Set the rest of the filling aside.
- Fold the top phyllo sheet over the cheese and brush with butter, and continue folding the phyllo over the cheese to make a square, brushing each time with butter.
- With a wide spatula, lift the bougatsa and invert onto a cookie sheet.
- Brush the top with butter and set aside.
- Repeat with the remaining phyllo, filling until all 3 square pies are folded.
- Bake in a 350°F oven for 15-20 minutes or until the phyllo puffs up and turns a golden chestnut color.
- Cut into small squares and sprinkle with additional sugar.
- Serve piping hot.
Sounds like a TIROPITA not Bougatsa. There is a lot of cheese in this recipe and the bougatsa recipe doesn't call for any of these cheese ingredients at all.