1 hr 10 mins
Member #610488's Note:
This recipe is from the Greek town of Ioannina. It can be made ahead and served cold or can be assembled up to 8 hours in advance and kept in the refrigerator until 1 hour before serving time. When ready, bake and serve.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1In a large bowl, combine the cheese, sugar, eggs and vanilla and beat with a mixer till creamy smooth.
- 2Brush the bottom of a 10x14x2 inch baking pan or dish with the butter. Have ready the filo sheets, keeping them covered with plastic wrap to prevent them from drying out. Lay a filo sheet in the bottom of the pan and brush with butter. Repeat, brushing with butter, 5 more times.
- 3Pour the filling mixture over the stacked and buttered filo sheets. Drizzle the filling with a little melted butter, then layer 5 more filo sheets on top, again brushing each sheet.
- 4Cover the pan and refrigerate until the butter firms up. Can be pre-assembled up to this point.
- 5Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- 6With a sharp knife, score the surface of the pastry through the top 5 sheets of filo dough into 10 diamonds or rectangles. Bake until golden brown, 35 to 40 minutes. Transfer pastry to a rack and let cool for 10 minutes. Cut along the score marks and finish allowing to cool until warm or to room temperature. Dust with powdered sugar and serve.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Bougatsa (Cheese Filled Filo Pastry)
Serving Size: 1 (75 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 298.4
- Calories from Fat 118
- Total Fat 13.2 g
- Saturated Fat 7.0 g
- Cholesterol 136.0 mg
- Sodium 135.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 40.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.3 g
- Sugars 30.1 g
- Protein 5.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included: