Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 30 mins
Cook 40 mins
This recipe is from the Greek town of Ioannina. It can be made ahead and served cold or can be assembled up to 8 hours in advance and kept in the refrigerator until 1 hour before serving time. When ready, bake and serve.
- In a large bowl, combine the cheese, sugar, eggs and vanilla and beat with a mixer till creamy smooth.
- Brush the bottom of a 10x14x2 inch baking pan or dish with the butter. Have ready the filo sheets, keeping them covered with plastic wrap to prevent them from drying out. Lay a filo sheet in the bottom of the pan and brush with butter. Repeat, brushing with butter, 5 more times.
- Pour the filling mixture over the stacked and buttered filo sheets. Drizzle the filling with a little melted butter, then layer 5 more filo sheets on top, again brushing each sheet.
- Cover the pan and refrigerate until the butter firms up. Can be pre-assembled up to this point.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- With a sharp knife, score the surface of the pastry through the top 5 sheets of filo dough into 10 diamonds or rectangles. Bake until golden brown, 35 to 40 minutes. Transfer pastry to a rack and let cool for 10 minutes. Cut along the score marks and finish allowing to cool until warm or to room temperature. Dust with powdered sugar and serve.