Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 20 mins
Cook 40 mins
This recipe was found in the 2002 cookbook, Mediterranean Street Food.
Make and share this Bougatsa -- Cream Pie (Greece) recipe from Food.com.
FOR THE CREAM
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1⁄3 cup semolina flour
- 1⁄3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 egg yolk
FOR THE FINISHED PIE
- 12 sheets phyllo pastry
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons ground cinnamon
- FOR THE CREAM: In a small saucepan bring milk & vanilla extract JUST to a boil.
- In another saucepan, melt butter over medium heat & then add the semolina, stirring for 1 minute.
- Strain the milk over the semolina, stirring continuously. Add the sugar & continue stirring for 4-5 minutes, or until mixture is thickened, then remove from the heat & set aside to cool, stirring occasionally to prevent the formation of a skin on top.
- In a small container, beat together the egg & 1 egg yolk, & when the milk mixture is cool, stir the eggs into the milk mixture.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F & coat the inside of an 8-inch-square baking dish with a little butter.
- Cut the sheets of filo to fit the baking dish & then lay 6 sheets into the baking dish, brushing the top side of each with melted butter.
- Spread the cream filling over the pastry & cover with the remaining sheets, again brushing each sheet with butter. Keep the filo covered with a slightly damp kitchen towel at all times so it doesn't dry out.
- Bake for about 25 minutes or until the pastry is crisp & golden, then remove from the oven & cut into 4 squares. Sprinkle each with powdered sugar & a little cinnamon & serve hot or warm.
Very tasty! I am FINALLY over my fear of phyllo pastry. LOL I used 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla, everything else I kept as directed. Thanks for sharing SydneyMike. Made for ZWT 6.
Good! DH says. This was eaten in my FIL's diwaniya (men's social gathering) with Arabic coffee and black tea. I used homogenised milk because I couldn't find whole milk, alcohol free vanilla from the health food store, semolina by CLIC brand which is not durum semolina but the type used to make bosbousa (Arabic cake). I did 1 1/2 batches for a 9 X 13 inch pan to have a bigger quantity. That way I cut the phyllo pastry sheets in half for each layer. I definitely went easier on the cinnamon than using 2 tbs. I think I used less than 1/4 tsp for the 1 1/2 batches. I may make this again. I wonder if I could change up the vanilla for rose water or orange blossom water and the spice for maybe cardamom?? Made for Please Review My Recipe ~ ~ ~ from March 10th ~