Sydney Mike's Note:
This recipe was found in the 2002 cookbook, Mediterranean Street Food.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
FOR THE CREAM
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1/4 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/3 cup semolina flour
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 egg yolk
FOR THE FINISHED PIE
- 1FOR THE CREAM: In a small saucepan bring milk & vanilla extract JUST to a boil.
- 2In another saucepan, melt butter over medium heat & then add the semolina, stirring for 1 minute.
- 3Strain the milk over the semolina, stirring continuously. Add the sugar & continue stirring for 4-5 minutes, or until mixture is thickened, then remove from the heat & set aside to cool, stirring occasionally to prevent the formation of a skin on top.
- 4In a small container, beat together the egg & 1 egg yolk, & when the milk mixture is cool, stir the eggs into the milk mixture.
- 5Preheat oven to 400 degrees F & coat the inside of an 8-inch-square baking dish with a little butter.
- 6Cut the sheets of filo to fit the baking dish & then lay 6 sheets into the baking dish, brushing the top side of each with melted butter.
- 7Spread the cream filling over the pastry & cover with the remaining sheets, again brushing each sheet with butter. Keep the filo covered with a slightly damp kitchen towel at all times so it doesn't dry out.
- 8Bake for about 25 minutes or until the pastry is crisp & golden, then remove from the oven & cut into 4 squares. Sprinkle each with powdered sugar & a little cinnamon & serve hot or warm.
Browse Our Top Pies and Tarts Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Bougatsa -- Cream Pie (Greece)
Serving Size: 1 (262 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 619.1
- Calories from Fat 295
- Total Fat 32.8 g
- Saturated Fat 18.4 g
- Cholesterol 161.2 mg
- Sodium 351.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 70.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.7 g
- Sugars 27.0 g
- Protein 12.2 g