1/4 Photos of Bourekakia (Baklava 'cigars')
1 hr 25 mins
These are great and keep a long time. Not as sweet as traditional baklava as they are not soaked in syrup, merely dusted with powdered sugar. *Please note that a few of the ingredients are showing up incorrectly on the recipe page and is not fixable currently. The following amounts are what should appear: Syrup: 1 1/4 cups sugar 3/4 cup water 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice 1 tablespoon honey (preferably, Greek Thyme) 3 cinnamon sticks 3 whole cloves Filling: 3 cups ground walnuts 1 teaspoon cinnamon 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves 2 egg whites, room temperature, beaten to consistency of mayonnaise 1 lb phyllo pastry 1 cup butter, melted icing sugar
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/4 cups sugar
- 3/4 cup water
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon honey (preferably, Greek Thyme)
- 3 cinnamon sticks
- 3 whole cloves
- 1For syrup: Cook all ingredients in saucepan over low heat, swirling pan occasionally, until sugar dissolves, then boil 15 minutes.
- 2Cool completely; strain.
- 3For filling: Combine walnuts, cinnamon and cloves.
- 4Blend in 1 cup syrup and whites (mixture should not be too stiff; add up to ¼ cup additional syrup, if necessary.).
- 5To assemble: Preheat oven to 350°F.
- 6Cut phyllo into 5 x 8 inch strips.
- 7Cover with plastic wrap and a damp towel until ready to use.
- 8Take a strip and brush it lightly with melted butter.
- 9Spread 1 heaping teaspoon of filling along narrow edge.
- 10Fold in sides ½ inch toward center; brush sides lightly with butter; roll up tightly.
- 11Repeat with remaining strips.
- 12Arrange seam side down on baking sheet.
- 13Brush with remaining butter.
- 14(They can be frozen at this point ï¿½ increase baking time to 30-35 minutes if baking them frozen).
- 15Bake until golden and crisp, 20-25 minutes.
- 16Cool completely.
- 17Dust lightly with powdered sugar.
You Might Also Like...View All Hand-Formed Cookies Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Bourekakia (Baklava 'cigars')
Serving Size: 1 (1584 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 134.0
- Calories from Fat 78
- Total Fat 8.7 g
- Saturated Fat 3.2 g
- Cholesterol 11.6 mg
- Sodium 86.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 12.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.6 g
- Sugars 6.5 g
- Protein 1.8 g