1 hr 45 mins
This is a little different take on the typical spinach pie. This is Jeff Smith's version. I have served this many times and have always gotten compliments. It's pretty easy, for spinach pie. Enjoy!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 10 ounces frozen broccoli, thawed and squeezed
- 10 ounces frozen whole spinach leaves, thawed
- 1 onion, peeled and chopped
- 2 green onions, chopped fine
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 8 ounces feta cheese
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 2 tablespoons fresh chives, chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh dill, chopped
- 1/2 cup parsley, chopped
- fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- 24 phyllo pastry sheets
- 1/2 cup melted butter (more may be needed)
- 1Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- 2Saute the onion and green onions in the oil until golden brown.
- 3Add the broccoli and spinach, and cook for about 5 minutes.
- 4Stir in the cheese, eggs, chives, dill, parsely and black pepper. Remove from heat to cool a bit.
- 5Using a pastry brush, butter a 9" x 10" baking dish and begin layering the first 12 phyllo sheets, brushing each with a little butter as you go.
- 6Drain the excess liquid from the broccoli-spinach mixture and spread it over the 12 layers of phyllo dough.
- 7Cover this with the remaining 12 phyllo sheets, repeating the buttering process as you add each sheet. You made need to melt a little more butter if you run out.
- 8Cut the pie into 10 (or more) pieces, using a very sharp pointed knife.
- 9Bake uncovered for about 1 hour, or until golden brown. You may need to tent this with aluminum foil towards the end of cooking, if the top layer of phyllo is getting too brown.
Browse Our Top Spinach Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Spinach Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Broccoli-Spinach Pie
Serving Size: 1 (168 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 425.0
- Calories from Fat 235
- Total Fat 26.2 g
- Saturated Fat 13.5 g
- Cholesterol 103.8 mg
- Sodium 770.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 36.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.4 g
- Sugars 2.7 g
- Protein 12.3 g