Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 45 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is a little different take on the typical spinach pie. This is Jeff Smith's version. I have served this many times and have always gotten compliments. It's pretty easy, for spinach pie. Enjoy!
- 10 ounces frozen broccoli, thawed and squeezed
- 10 ounces frozen whole spinach leaves, thawed
- 1 onion, peeled and chopped
- 2 green onions, chopped fine
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 8 ounces feta cheese
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 2 tablespoons fresh chives, chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh dill, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup parsley, chopped
- fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- 24 phyllo pastry sheets
- 1⁄2 cup melted butter (more may be needed)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Saute the onion and green onions in the oil until golden brown.
- Add the broccoli and spinach, and cook for about 5 minutes.
- Stir in the cheese, eggs, chives, dill, parsely and black pepper. Remove from heat to cool a bit.
- Using a pastry brush, butter a 9" x 10" baking dish and begin layering the first 12 phyllo sheets, brushing each with a little butter as you go.
- Drain the excess liquid from the broccoli-spinach mixture and spread it over the 12 layers of phyllo dough.
- Cover this with the remaining 12 phyllo sheets, repeating the buttering process as you add each sheet. You made need to melt a little more butter if you run out.
- Cut the pie into 10 (or more) pieces, using a very sharp pointed knife.
- Bake uncovered for about 1 hour, or until golden brown. You may need to tent this with aluminum foil towards the end of cooking, if the top layer of phyllo is getting too brown.
Yum, so good! I had to make some adjustments due to the ingredients I had on hand. I only had 4 oz. of feta, so I used 4 oz. of cottage cheese. I wish I would have used parmesan, but it was still good. As a result of using half less salty cheese, I did add salt. Also, I threw in some lemon juice ad a dash of nutmeg, which I think enhances spinach. Thanks for posting!