This is one of my favourite stew things ever! Add whatever veggie to it you wish. I like putting carrots, parsnips and fine beans in other than what is specified below. Garnish with some vegan Parmesan and away you go. I think it's really good for you with loads of protein etc. I think you can substitute the beans for whatever beans you like. I've used pinto, broad and canneli, and flagolet before. You can even put a bit of chili in it if you like to spice it up. This is taken form "A Vegan Taste of Greece by Linda (surname I can't spell or pronounce sorry) one of the best cookbooks about/for vegans in my eyes. I end up having to change the recipe a bit in order to accommodate what's in my fridge.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 sliced leek (1 big leek)
- 2 sliced onions (2 onions)
- 100 g sliced mushrooms
- 100 g spinach (fresh or some frozen cubes)
- 4 minced garlic cloves
- 500 g chickpeas (1 tin drained)
- 300 g broad beans (1 small tin drained)
- 500 g chopped tomatoes (1 tin)
- 175 g bulgur wheat
- 1/2 teaspoon mint
- 1/2 teaspoon basil
- 1/2 teaspoon dill
- 1 teaspoon Italian herb seasoning (optional)
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar (or red wine vinegar)
- 100 ml red wine (optional)
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 400 ml stock
- black pepper
- 1 fresh lemongrass (optional)
- 1 lemon, juice of
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1Preheat oven to gas mark 4,.
- 2In a heavy based pan, heat half the oil and sauté the onion and leeks with garlic for 5 minutes. Add the spinach until it wilts (if using frozen then add frozen ones and let them melt a bit).
- 3Add the tinned stuff the seasoning the bulgur wheat, wine vinegar and stock; mix well.
- 4Use remaining olive oil to lightly grease a casserole dish. Pour mixture into this dish. If using lemongrass, bruise lightly and put in mixture and cover with foil,.
- 5Bake for 40 minutes. Take out and stir. If not using lemongrass, mix the juice of the lemon into the pilaf at this stage. Serve with vegan Parmesan sprinkled over the top and black pepper.
Browse Our Top Beans Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Beans Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Bulgur, Veg Chickpea and Bean Greek Super Food Stew
Serving Size: 1 (573 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 349.4
- Calories from Fat 50
- Total Fat 5.6 g
- Saturated Fat 0.7 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 781.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 63.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 14.0 g
- Sugars 7.8 g
- Protein 15.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included: