Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This recipe will make good use of our Franchi Red Pear tomatoes, White Lightning eggplant & basil from the garden & the plentiful calamari from our waters. Received in email from gourmet-recipes-from-around-the-world. Thanks Petro B.!
- 4 ounces virgin olive oil
- 1 red onion, thinly sliced
- 4 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 2 Japanese eggplants, sliced lengthwise into 6 pieces each
- 2 roma tomatoes, chopped into 1/4 inch dice
- 12 baby calamari, whole, peeled and cleaned, about 1 1/2 pounds
- 1 lemon, juice and zest of
- 1⁄8 cup basil, chiffonade
- In a 12 inch to 14 inch saute pan, heat together oil, onion and garlic over medium high heat until soft, about 8 to 10 minutes.
- Add eggplant and cook until just softened.
- Add tomatoes and lemon and season with salt and pepper and cook until they fall apart, about 4 to 5 minutes.
- Add calamari, season again, and cook until just opaque, about 2 minutes per side.
- Add basil and toss.
- Arrange on platter and serve.