Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 1 hr 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
These are excellent appetizers to make ahead for big gatherings. In fact, these can be made up to 2 days in advance and the flavor just gets better!
- 1⁄2 cup olive oil
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 cup long-grain white rice
- 4 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1⁄4 cup dry white wine
- 1 lb ground chicken
- 6 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1⁄2 cup sliced whole scallion
- 1⁄2 cup chopped of fresh mint
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh dill
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 (16 ounce) jar grape leaves, in brine,drained,rinsed,and drained again
- Spoon 2 tablespoons of the olive oil into a 2-quart nonstick saucepan and place over moderate heat.
- Add the onion and saute until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add the garlic and allspice and saute for 1 to 2 minutes.
- Add the rice, toss, and cook until lightly toasted, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Pour in 1 cup of the broth and the white wine and bring to a boil.
- Lower the heat, cover, and simmer over low heat until the broth is absorbed, 5 to 8 minutes.
- Remove from the heat, cover tightly, and let stand for 10 minutes.
- Uncover, turn out into a large bowl, and let cool to room temperature.
- When the rice is cool, crumble in the ground chicken.
- Add 2 tablespoons of the olive oil, 2 tablespoons of the lemon juice, the scallions, mint, parsley, dill, salt, and pepper.
- Mix thoroughly with your hands to combine.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Lightly oil 2 shallow casseroles or baking dishes (approximately 12x18 inches.) Separate the grape leaves and arrange them in a stack.
- Working with 1 leaf at a time, place a leaf, shiny side down, in front of you.
- Shape 1 to 1 1/2 tablespoons of the filling into a log and place it across the lower third of the leaf.
- Fold up the bottom of the leaf over the filling, then fold in the sides and firmly roll up.
- As they are assembled, place the stuffed leaves, seam side down, close together in a single layer in the prepared casseroles.
- Continue stuffing the grape leaves.
- Pour 1 1/2 cups chicken stock over each casserole to almost cover the leaves.
- Sprinkle 2 tablespoons of the remaining lemon juice over each pan; cover tightly with foil.
- Bake for about 50 minutes, until heated through and tender.
- Let cool to room temperature.
- When cool, arrange the stuffed grape leaves in a deeper pan (a bread pan or some other deep container), making several layers.
- As you build up the layers, drizzle the remaining 1/4 cup olive oil.
- Cover and chill for at least 6 hours or up to 2 days.
- Serve cold with more lemon, if desired.