Found this recipe in Bon Appetit Too Busy to Cook. I don't always have aniseed and ouzo around but the combination is intoxicating! Great accompanied by orzo.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 1/2 lbs chicken, cut into 8 pieces
- 6 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 1/2 teaspoons anise seed, crushed
- 1 (28 ounce) can Italian plum tomatoes
- 1/2 cup low sodium chicken broth
- 1/4 cup ouzo or 1/4 cup Pernod or 1/4 cup ricard liqueur
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano, crumbled
- 12 black oil-cured olives, pitted
- 4 ounces feta cheese, crumbled
- 1Heat olive oil in heavy large skillet over medium-high heat.
- 2Season chicken with salt and pepper.
- 3Sauté chicken in batches if necessary until brown, about 5 minutes per side.
- 4Transfer to plate.
- 5Pour off all but 2 Tbs drippings from skillet.
- 6Add garlic and aniseed and stir 30 seconds.
- 7Add tomatoes, broth Ouzo and oregano.
- 8Bring mixture to simmer, breaking up tomatoes with back of spoon.
- 9Return chicken to skillet.
- 10Bring to simmer and cook uncovered 15 minutes.
- 11Transfer chicken breasts to plate.
- 12Turn chicken pieces in skillet over and simmer 5 minutes longer.
- 13Transfer chicken in skillet to same plate.
- 14Increase heat to high, add olives and cook until liquid is reduced to sauce consistency, stirring occasionally, about 6 to 8 minutes.
- 15Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- 16(Can be prepared 1 day ahead. Cover and refrigerate. Reheat gently before continuing.) Sprinkle feta cheese over and serve.
Browse Our Top Chicken Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chicken Athena
Serving Size: 1 (671 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 740.2
- Calories from Fat 483
- Total Fat 53.6 g
- Saturated Fat 16.4 g
- Cholesterol 207.8 mg
- Sodium 524.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 11.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.9 g
- Sugars 6.5 g
- Protein 52.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included: