Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Found this recipe in Bon Appetit Too Busy to Cook. I don't always have aniseed and ouzo around but the combination is intoxicating! Great accompanied by orzo.
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 1⁄2 lbs chicken, cut into 8 pieces
- 6 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons anise seed, crushed
- 1 (28 ounce) can Italian plum tomatoes
- 1⁄2 cup low sodium chicken broth
- 1⁄4 cup ouzo or 1⁄4 cup Pernod or 1⁄4 cup ricard liqueur
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano, crumbled
- 12 black oil-cured olives, pitted
- 4 ounces feta cheese, crumbled
- Heat olive oil in heavy large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Season chicken with salt and pepper.
- Sauté chicken in batches if necessary until brown, about 5 minutes per side.
- Transfer to plate.
- Pour off all but 2 Tbs drippings from skillet.
- Add garlic and aniseed and stir 30 seconds.
- Add tomatoes, broth Ouzo and oregano.
- Bring mixture to simmer, breaking up tomatoes with back of spoon.
- Return chicken to skillet.
- Bring to simmer and cook uncovered 15 minutes.
- Transfer chicken breasts to plate.
- Turn chicken pieces in skillet over and simmer 5 minutes longer.
- Transfer chicken in skillet to same plate.
- Increase heat to high, add olives and cook until liquid is reduced to sauce consistency, stirring occasionally, about 6 to 8 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- (Can be prepared 1 day ahead. Cover and refrigerate. Reheat gently before continuing.) Sprinkle feta cheese over and serve.