1/1 Photo of Chicken Gyros With Cucumber Salsa and Tsatsiki
Gourmet March 2009 Posting this for ZWT 6 Greece.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 kirby cucumbers, divided
- 1 1/2 cups Greek yogurt (3/4 pounds)
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice, divided
- 5 garlic cloves, minced, divided
- 1 pint grape tomatoes, quartered
- 1 small red onion, halved and thinly sliced
- feta (optional, to taste)
- 1/3 cup chopped flat leaf parsley
- 1/4 cup chopped mint
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary, crumbled
- 1 (12 ounce) package naan bread (four 8-inch pieces)
- pocketless pita bread round
- 1/2 roast chicken, skin discarded, meat shredded (about 2 1/4 cups)
- 1/2 head iceberg lettuce, thinly sliced
- 1Preheat broiler.
- 2Peel and grate 1 cucumber, then squeeze it to remove excess water. Stir in yogurt, 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice, one third of garlic, and 1/4 teaspoon each of salt and pepper to make tsatsiki.
- 3Cut remaining cucumber into 1/4-inch pieces and stir together with tomatoes, feta (if using), onion, parsley, mint, remaining 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice, and 1/4 teaspoon each of salt and pepper to make salsa.
- 4Gently simmer oil, oregano, rosemary, remaining garlic, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and 1/8 teaspoon pepper in a small heavy saucepan, stirring constantly, until garlic is fragrant but not browned, 1 to 2 minutes. Toss chicken with 3 tablespoons garlic oil and brush one side of bread with remainder.
- 5Heat bread, oiled side up, in a 4-sided sheet pan, covered with foil, 3 to 4 inches from broiler 3 minutes. Uncover and broil, rotating bread for even coloring, until golden in spots, about 2 minutes.
- 6Spread some of tsatsiki on warm bread and top with chicken and some of lettuce and salsa. Serve remaining lettuce, salsa, and tsatsiki on the side.
- 7Cooks' note: Tsatsiki can be made 1 day ahead and chilled.
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chicken Gyros With Cucumber Salsa and Tsatsiki
Serving Size: 1 (321 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 422.0
- Calories from Fat 282
- Total Fat 31.4 g
- Saturated Fat 6.9 g
- Cholesterol 86.2 mg
- Sodium 101.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 12.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.1 g
- Sugars 3.3 g
- Protein 23.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included: