Gourmet March 2009 Posting this for ZWT 6 Greece.
Make and share this Chicken Gyros With Cucumber Salsa and Tsatsiki recipe from Food.com.
- 2 kirby cucumbers, divided
- 354.88 ml Greek yogurt (3/4 pounds)
- 4.92 ml fresh lemon juice, divided
- 5 garlic cloves, minced, divided
- 473.19 ml grape tomatoes, quartered
- 1 small red onion, halved and thinly sliced
- feta (optional, to taste)
- 78.07 ml chopped flat leaf parsley
- 59.14 ml chopped mint
- 59.14 ml extra-virgin olive oil
- 4.92 ml dried oregano
- 4.92 ml dried rosemary, crumbled
- 340.19 g package naan bread (four 8-inch pieces)
- 0 pocketless pita bread round
- 1 roast chicken, skin discarded, meat shredded (about 2 1/4 cups)
- 1 head iceberg lettuce, thinly sliced
- Preheat broiler.
- Peel and grate 1 cucumber, then squeeze it to remove excess water. Stir in yogurt, 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice, one third of garlic, and 1/4 teaspoon each of salt and pepper to make tsatsiki.
- Cut remaining cucumber into 1/4-inch pieces and stir together with tomatoes, feta (if using), onion, parsley, mint, remaining 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice, and 1/4 teaspoon each of salt and pepper to make salsa.
- Gently simmer oil, oregano, rosemary, remaining garlic, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and 1/8 teaspoon pepper in a small heavy saucepan, stirring constantly, until garlic is fragrant but not browned, 1 to 2 minutes. Toss chicken with 3 tablespoons garlic oil and brush one side of bread with remainder.
- Heat bread, oiled side up, in a 4-sided sheet pan, covered with foil, 3 to 4 inches from broiler 3 minutes. Uncover and broil, rotating bread for even coloring, until golden in spots, about 2 minutes.
- Spread some of tsatsiki on warm bread and top with chicken and some of lettuce and salsa. Serve remaining lettuce, salsa, and tsatsiki on the side.
- Cooks' note: Tsatsiki can be made 1 day ahead and chilled.