Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
Very tasty homemade recipe.
Make and share this Chicken Lemon Rice Soup recipe from Food.com.
- 6 chicken thighs
- 8 cups water
- 1 small onion, peeled and cut in half
- 1 small carrot, peeled
- 2 celery ribs
- 1 bay leaf
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup uncooked long-grain rice
- 3 egg yolks
- 1⁄4 cup lemon juice (fresh)
- white pepper, to taste
- Bring chicken broth, onion, carrot, celery, bay leaf and salt to a simmer. Add chicken thighs, cover and poach (gently simmer over low heat) for 1 hour. Remove chicken thighs, let cool slightly and pull or cut chicken into strips. Set aside. Strain soup and return to boil. Add rice and gently simmer for 20 minutes, then add chicken back to soup for another 5 minutes.
- Whisk yolks in lemon juice. Add a cup of the hot soup, very slowly, whisking while you pour it inches Add another cup in the same manner. Take soup off the heat and add egg mixture into it. Sprinkle with parsley, season with salt and pepper and serve.
This was delicious, although I did make a few modifications. First, I wanted to keep the veggies in the soup, so I chopped them up to cook while making the stock. Then, instead of straining the broth, I just skimmed the extra fat off the top. This wasn't too difficult, because I used skinless, boneless chicken thighs I had in the freezer - so there wasn't much to skim! I added a little instant broth powder to the soup as well, to make up for it being a little low on flavour due to bonelessness. I made a huge pot of soup and I'm glad I did - now I've got leftovers to pack for lunches, as well as a big tub to put in the freezer for another time!