Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
A very tasty pilaf to make on a day that you don't have much time to spend in the kitchen.
Make and share this Chicken Liver Pilaf recipe from Food.com.
- 2 cups long-grain rice
- 5 cups water
- 1 chicken stock cube
- 1 medium onion, minced (about 3/4 cup)
- 10 ounces chicken livers
- 8 ounces butter
- 2 tablespoons currants or 2 tablespoons raisins
- 2 tablespoons pine nuts (I often sub toasted, slivered almonds)
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon allspice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon
- salt and pepper
- Cook the livers in 1 tblsp of the butter, and when firm outside, cool and mince into small cubes.
- Saute the onion and livers in the remaining butter.
- Add the rice and stir to coat the rice with fat.
- Cook like this for 2 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the water, currants, pine nuts and spices and bring to the boil.
- Cover and cook for about 20 minutes, when all the water has been absorbed and the rice is cooked.
- Remove lid of pan, cover with a clean dish towel and replace lid.
- Allow to steam for 10 minutes.
- Remove lid and fluff rice with a fork.
- Note: if you have chicken stock, replace the water with that and forego the stock cube.
My husband and kids hate liver but love this stuff! I had a LOT of liver and had no idea what to do with it, seeing as I am the only person in my family who will eat it. i found this recipe, tweaked it a bit (used curry powder instead of cumin, and added lots of dried cranberries, chopped dried apricots, raisins and lots of pine nuts) due to limited access to the ingredients called for, and my family loved it! We ate it for dinner, my husband suggested I make a much larger batch the next day to freeze, but I never got that far. we ate it for lunch, dinner again, and then for lunch the next day as well!
Evelyn, Thank-you! foe this recipe. I made Thanksgiving Dinner this year and made your Liver Pilaf in place of bread stuffing. I doubled the recipe, very easy and very good! Liver lovers will love this! I heard my Father-in-law say this is good grub on his way for seconds! Thanks Evelyn! Brenda.