A very tasty pilaf to make on a day that you don't have much time to spend in the kitchen.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 cups long-grain rice
- 5 cups water
- 1 chicken stock cube
- 1 medium onion, minced (about 3/4 cup)
- 10 ounces chicken livers
- 8 ounces butter
- 2 tablespoons currants or 2 tablespoons raisins
- 2 tablespoons pine nuts (I often sub toasted, slivered almonds)
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- salt and pepper
- 1Cook the livers in 1 tblsp of the butter, and when firm outside, cool and mince into small cubes.
- 2Saute the onion and livers in the remaining butter.
- 3Add the rice and stir to coat the rice with fat.
- 4Cook like this for 2 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- 5Add the water, currants, pine nuts and spices and bring to the boil.
- 6Cover and cook for about 20 minutes, when all the water has been absorbed and the rice is cooked.
- 7Remove lid of pan, cover with a clean dish towel and replace lid.
- 8Allow to steam for 10 minutes.
- 9Remove lid and fluff rice with a fork.
- 10Note: if you have chicken stock, replace the water with that and forego the stock cube.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chicken Liver Pilaf
Serving Size: 1 (555 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 885.1
- Calories from Fat 478
- Total Fat 53.1 g
- Saturated Fat 30.6 g
- Cholesterol 368.5 mg
- Sodium 678.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 81.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.2 g
- Sugars 4.5 g
- Protein 20.4 g