Prep 5 mins
Cook 10 mins
The name is funny but the taste is serious! These are so easy and just fantastic little additions to your next barbie. You can seriously impress your chicken-liver-loving-guests with these. I was impressed when I first had them because I HATED chicken livers before this. I must give credit to Ebenezer Scrooge! You know who you are... (;
- Have this recipe when you are already throwing a BBQ. It's not really worth it to fire up a grill just for these (perhaps).
- Add your wet Mesquite chips to your fire a few minutes before placing your boat on the grill rack. If you don't have mesquite chips you might want to add a few drops of Mesquite liquid smoke to your chicken livers and give them a stir.
- To build your boat: Take a sheet of aluminum foil about 2 feet long and fold it in thirds (short side, not long ways). This will give you a 3-ply "plank" to work with. Then, twist/fold each corner so that you create sides to your boat. Pinch corners to tighten. You want the sides and ends to be about an inch high. When all four corners are done you should have a little square or rectangle "boat" or box in which to place your chicken livers.
- Place chicken livers in the boat and sprinkle with Cavender's Greek Seasoning.
- Place on hot grill rack and close lid. These will cook pretty quickly so don't leave them for long -- about 5 to 7 minutes. Just check for proper doneness and make sure they don't overcook (this will dry them out).
- Remove from grill carefully and pass the toothpicks. Everyone should help themselves to a liver from the boat.
- Cold beer goes nicely with this as you wait for your steaks to cook. (;.