Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Make and share this Chicken or Turkey Spanakopita Burgers and Fries With Yogurt Dip recipe from Food.com.
- 1 (8 ounce) package frozen french fries, any variety
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil, 1 turn of the pan, plus some for drizzling
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 3 garlic cloves, 2 chopped, 1 crushed
- 1 red onion, 1/2 chopped, 1/2 thinly sliced
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen spinach, defrosted
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano, lightly crushed in the palm, divided
- 1⁄4 lb feta, crumbles
- 1 (1 1/3 lb) package ground chicken or 1 (1 1/3 lb) package ground turkey breast
- 1 tablespoon grill seasoning (recommended ( Montreal Steak Seasoning by McCormick)
- 1⁄3 seedless cucumber, thinly sliced lengthwise, plus 1 small, 2-inch piece of cucumber peeled, trimmed and chopped
- 2 plum tomatoes, thinly sliced lengthwise
- salt and pepper
- 1 1⁄2-2 cups good quality plain yogurt, look for Greek yogurt
- 1⁄2 lemon, juice of
- 1 cup arugula, shredded
- 4 crusty rolls, split
- 2 roasted red peppers, drained
- 1⁄4 cup flat leaf parsley, a generous handful
- 12 pitted kalamata olives
- hot pepper rings (optional) or pepperoncini pepper (optional)
- Preheat oven to directions on the package and bake fries until crisp.
- Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. To one side, add a little extra-virgin olive oil and a tablespoon of butter. When butter melts, add the chopped garlic and chopped red onion and cook 5 minutes. Transfer the onions and garlic to a bowl to cool. Return pan to heat.
- Wring the defrosted spinach dry buy twisting it in a clean kitchen towel over your sink. Separate the spinach as you add it to the bowl with cool onions, garlic and season with 1 teaspoon of oregano. Add in feta crumbles then chicken or turkey, grill seasoning and a drizzle of extra-virgin olive oil. Mix and form into 4 patties, 1-inch thick. Raise heat on pan to medium-high. Add patties and cook 6 inches on each side.
- Season the sliced cucumbers and tomatoes with salt and pepper. Toast rolls, if you prefer.
- Place remaining chopped cucumber, the crushed clove of garlic, yogurt, 1 teaspoon oregano and juice of 1/2 lemon in a food processor. Add a little salt and process the sauce until smooth. Transfer to a small dish and serve with the fries as a dipping sauce. Rinse out the processor bowl and return to base.
- Place red peppers, parsley and olives in food processor, season with salt and pepper and process until a paste forms. Place cooked burgers on roll bottoms. Top the burgers with sliced cucumber, tomato, reserved red onions, shredded arugula and hot peppers, if using. Slather roll tops with red pepper and olive paste and serve with chips of choice.
I found this recipe on Food Network. All I can say is WOW! Rachael Ray really knows cooking! The flavors burst out. I didn't make the fries, but did both the dipping sauce and the topping. We used the dipping sauce to dip the burgers in. I used ground turkey. Man what a treat! My family loved this recipe.