Prep 20 mins
Cook 0 mins
This is a great sandwich & about the best way I know to use leftover grilled chicken & roasted peppers, so plan ahead for it + marinating the mushrooms. My source is the Wildflower Bread Co in Scottsdale, AZ. Stated times do not include the original prep/cooking of the chicken & peppers or the refrigerated marination of the mushrooms. Enjoy! .. *Edited to Add* -- This recipe was included for Greece in ZWT6 due to its strong Mediterranean influence + the use of feta cheese & pesto. :-)
- 4 ounces mixed mushrooms, sliced thin
- 1 ounce balsamic vinegar
- 4 ounces red bell peppers, roasted
- 2 medium tomatoes
- 4 (4 ounce) boneless skinless chicken breast halves (Approx 4 oz ea)
- 4 Italian rolls
- 4 ounces pesto sauce
- 4 ounces feta cheese
- Marinate mushrooms in balsamic vinegar for at least 24 hrs under refrigeration, stirring occasionally. Discard any excess marinade when ready to assumble sandwiches.
- Slice peppers into 1/4-in wide strips.
- Slice tomatoes into 1/4-in thick slices.
- Trim any fat or rib meat from the chicken breasts & grill till done.
- To assemble sandwich: Slice 1 roll in half lengthwise. Spread 1 oz of pesto on the bottom of the roll, then crumble 1 oz of feta on top of pesto, covering the entire surface.
- Place a chicken breast on top of the feta, then 1/2 oz of mushrooms on the chicken, 1 oz of roasted red pepper strips on top of the mushrooms & finish w/3 tomato slices & the top of the roll.
- Insert 2 toothpicks, slice on the diagonal & serve.
Great hearty and flavor-packed sandwich! I didn't have the mushrooms I thought were on hand the evening before I planned to have this, so just used jarred sliced mushrooms and marinated them in the balsamic for about 6 hours. The pesto was a great addition, perfect with the other flavors. Thanks for sharing the recipe! Made for ZWT9, The Apron String Travelers
Yum, this is delicious! The flavors come together beautifully, and all the veggies and pesto really dress up the chicken. Thanks for sharing! ZWT9
Delicious lunch today. The flavors all combine so beautifully together. We used a rotisserie chicken. Made for ZWT9 family picks for Hot Stuff.