Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
From "Now You're Cookin' Greek!", I made this recipe to use up a package of phyllo pastry I bought for another recipe. It is really good and a great way use up leftover chicken.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large leek, washed and sliced (white part only)
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 lb chicken breast, diced
- 1 bunch spinach, washed and blanched
- 2 red bell peppers, roasted and diced
- 3 tablespoons black olives, pitted and halved
- 3⁄4 cup feta cheese, crumbled
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh oregano, chopped
- 3 eggs
- 1⁄4 cup heavy cream
- ground black pepper
- 8 -16 sheets phyllo dough
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a large frying pan, add the leek and garlic, and cook for 5 minutes or until soft.
- Set aside.
- Heat the extra oil, add the chicken in batches, and cook for 6 to 8 minutes.
- Drain the spinach, squeeze out the excess water, and chop roughly.
- In a large bowl, combine chicken, spinach, bell pepper, olives, feta, parsley, oregano, eggs, cream and pepper.
- Stir until well combined and set aside.
- Lightly grease an 9" square baking dish.
- Combine the extra oil and butter.
- Lay out the sheets of phyllo, put two together, and brush with the oil mixture.
- Put another two on top and brush again.
- Continue until you have four double sheets.
- Line the baking dish with the phyllo and trim around the edges.
- Fill with the chicken mixture.
- Brush the remaining sheets with oil in the same way as before, using the same amount.
- Place the phyllo on top of the baking dish, tucking the edges inside the baking dish.
- Brush the top with the oil mixture, sprinkle with sesame seeds, and bake in the oven for 40 to 45 minutes.